Chapter 1: Unique

Unique.

Being the only one of its kind.

That was the definition I found in the dictionary when I looked it up.

Special was one of its synonyms.

My whole life I've tried to be different. To create a name for myself that wasn't another one of those Finch boys. To introduce myself as Asher instead of the little brother that somehow belonged to all of my older brothers.

I've never been my own person. I've never had my own identity. Never had my own room. Or, my own birthday entirely comprised of my own friends. Or a frickin' human being on this planet that is willing to look at me. Why would they when they can have the much more mature and handsomer version of myself.

Even my own style isn't my own. All my clothes are hand me downs. When you're the seventh kid, there's no reason to buy you a new wardrobe. To pay as much attention to you. Everyone's been there done that. They all have seen the phase you'll go through. They know the mistakes you'll make and the lessons you'll learn. And no. No one has time to go through it all again.

So, you have to grow up quickly or you get left behind.

Maybe, I'm just being selfish by saying this, by wanting to break away. And, mabe it is another phase, but I want to be my own person. I want to find out who I am. I want to find Asher Finch. A man who fucking matters. So, I'm going to find myself.

And, it's not going to be another one of those Finch.

My eyes meet the ones staring at me in the mirror. I clutch the empty silver hair dye box tightly, my fingers gripping the cardboard as if it were the identity I was searching for. It's not, but it's a start.

My hazel eyes look a dark brown in the lighting. A tiny irrational part of me wishes they were. Because, if they were at least they would be a color I could call my own. The ones I had now were the same hazel brown that each of my six brothers had. I keep the thought irrational. It's not like I wanted to abandon my connections to my brothers completely. I just...I just wanted to be...unique. Different I guess.

The loud beeping of my phone alarm goes off, telling me it was time to see the master piece.

"You're not going to look like shit. You deserve to be unique. Silver is totally your color." I mutter to myself scratching at my bare chest. I nod at myself once before I remove the towel on my head.

It drops to the ground with a thump and I focus on the way it bunches around my feet instead of looking at my appearance. I really hope I didn't fuck up.

I raise my eyes slowly, taking in the shiny metallic grey color. A slow smile makes its way onto my face as I realized I hadn't totally fucked up.

I definitely looked like a new person. I run a hand through my damp silver hair.

My smile changes to a smirk and I wink at myself. I could totally work with this. Now the question would be why did you choose this color, instead of are you related to insert name of one of the six. Because fucking yes, I was. It wasn't coincidence we had the same last name. I poke one of my dimples. I was so losing my virginity in the next two months.

The sound of the doorknob turning makes me jump. Someone pulls at the door when it doesn't open. I hear them sigh loudly.

"Ash, what the hell are you doing in there, you've been in there for hours?" I already know which one of my brothers it is without having to open the door. The voice has little to no emotion in it besides irritation, the owner's attention no doubt captured by some book in their hands. He was always reading and when he wasn't, he was doing something else stupid...like math.