Chapter 16: Compromising

Compromising.

I once heard someone on tv say that a really good compromise leaves both parties dissatisfied.

That means I'm not compromising then.

Because I'm only gaining.

It's sunny out as I exit out of those double automatic doors. I don't remember going in them, but I'll always remember coming out.

The calm rays of the sun sneak past the jacket I wear and soak into my skin, warming me in a way I've never felt. The wind blows pushing my hair from my face and carrying the smell of snow with it.

I hated winter, but right now I bask in the foreshadowing of colder months. When I was trapped behind the hospital's stupid glass I couldn't smell the wind and they never gave me enough courtyard time.

I smile up at the sky. It's so nice to be in the real world. In my sixteen years of living I think leaving this damn over sanitized prison is the best feeling I've ever experienced.

Me and my brothers make our way towards the visitors parking lot and I close my eyes, not caring if I tripped as I get lost in the feeling of freedom. The wind caresses my face with a cold hand and I happily shiver.

Warmth contrasts the weather around me as I feel a hand brush against the back of my neck. I open my eyes and turn to look at Hunter who smiles softly at me. It's a small lift of the corner of his mouth and I wonder if he even knows he's doing it. He strokes his thumb in the soft spot behind my ear. It tickles, but I don't protest his touch.

I was happy to be back with my family again.

Hunter's smile deepens revealing his velvety nature and deep dimples that warm me more than his hand does. His hazel brown eyes soak me in and remind me that if the world were sinking I'd have solid ground in his eyes.

They look light in the glow of the early afternoon sun and I can see every color.

Rich brown fans into pale green and adoration. I can even see the specs of copper and pure love within his eyes.

I forget the sun.

I smile back at him leaning into his hand. Hunter leans down to me not stopping our stride as his lips graze against the shell of my ear. "You're so beautiful, Asher." He whispers. His deep voice causes electricity to ripple on the surface of my skin.

I feel my face heat and I duck my head hoping he wouldn't notice.

It's weird having them say romantic stuff to me and touch me all at once. Sometimes I forget I'm not allowed to be uncomfortable anymore.

The feeling of fingers slipping between mine, catches me off guard and I turn to meet Calloway's gaze. He smiles down at me from behind a wall of messy ash curls. His beautiful smile looks like a painting on display when paired with his model-like features and soft pink lips. His eyes match Hunter's in the lighting and I can see the green ring that frames them in full unbashful glory.

I forget the feeling of the sun.

Calloway is gorgeous.

Callie uses his free hand to pinch at my cheeks and I blush more. It was okay to think things like this now. I'm compromising--no I'm gaining so I can let my thoughts run wild.

"Do you want shotgun?" A deep voice that sounds almost unfamiliar without it's accent of irritation calls. My eyes flicker to the tall man a few feet in front of us.

Adair turns walking backwards as his hazel brown eyes find me. His ink black hair is pushed under a grey beanie and I can see his full face in all it's perfection. His sharp jawline is in total display as well as his angular cheekbones and not hidden by his hair. He raises an eyebrow at me his gaze still on me. It's weird to see him without a book, but I like it...I like the way he regards me with no distraction. I can see the muscles that hug his slender frame beneath the black sweatshirt he wears.