Chapter 4: Illusions - Part 2

Will opened his eyes; red smoke blinding his senses. He squinted for a moment as his eyes settled to the scene before him. He frowned. This wasn't the same place as last time. He swallowed his fear before continuing to walk forward, crossing his arms to stop them from trembling.

The walls were still broken and the red tint was the same, but here was no door and no staircase. It wasn't the broken pieces of Henry's old home. This was somewhere different.

There was old broken walls with what seemed like a rainbow painted along the middle of it. On the floor was thrown about blocks and broken puzzles. In the centre of the space was a chess board: the pieces in their starting positions.

Cobwebs of red slime covered every inch as branches of vines creeped inbetween every surface. The dead bodys were still situated amongst the broken fragments of the wall.

Will turned around, searching for his friend, but she was no where to be seen. He jumped over a block and peered under bricks; his breath quickening at the thought of losing Max.

A thin layer of sweat coated his face as his jaw clenched. Angry, frustrated and afraid; Will yelled loudly, his voice burning his throat.

"Vecna! Where is she? Vecna! Show yourself!"

He turned around swiftly as he heard footsteps behind him. His nose flared and eyebrows furrowed as Vecna smirked at him.

"We had a deal. Where's Max?" Will demanded with a steady tone; staring daggers at the monster before him.

"Fascinating. It is truly... fascinating to see what a person will do when their friend's lives are on the line. So, William Byers, you agree to accompany me in my path to-"

Strangely, Will found that he was less afraid this time time around. He had had enough of Vecna's unnecessary theatrics. He stepped forward; squishing a vine that recoiled with a gruesome squelch. He grimaced in disgust. "I agree to your terms. Let me see Max. Now."

Vecna smiled; his eyes glowing evilly. He waved his clawed hand; creating a chair in the corner of the space.

With another wave of his hand, Max appeared crumpled in the old wooden chair; vines keeping her trapped there.

Will ran towards her and was about to try and pry the vines away from her wrist, only to be interupted by a booming voice.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Will bit his tongue in annoyance. He exhaled deeply before turning to him. "Wake her up. That was the deal."

Vecna growled menacingly as he approached the pair. Will fought every urge in his body to run; his hand gripping the leg of the chair tightly. He held up his head bravely (something Steve had taught him to do) and kept eye contact, hoping to even slightly intimidate Vecna.

To his disappointment, Vecna flicked his hand and sent Will flying towards a brick wall; vines twisting around his body so he couldn't move.

001 held his hand over Max's unconscious face. He let out a low rumbling sound before waking her.

Will watched in fear and confusion, unable to untangle himself from the vines that glued him to the wall.

An ear piercing scream erupted from Max as she woke. Her eyes were wide in terror as she slumped back into the chair. She looked around at the unsettling scene as she sobbed, "I'm not ready to die, I'm not ready- I-... Lucas? what's happening? What- why am I here? Eleven? Lucas? El?" Her body shook as she fought for breath.

"Max!" Will yelled, wanting nothing more than to run to her and reassure her that everything was alright.

Vecna tightened the vines so Will struggled to breathe. He turned to Max and smiled as she squeezed her eyes shut and mumbled nonsense.