Chapter 4 - Dramatic Exit

"Chaz, what are you talking about?" Riley looked between Chaz and Martin with concern. The officers stopped their notes interested as well.

Nicholas wanted to stay and learn more, but he followed Carmen to the waiting ambulance. He spoke to the room as he left. "You guys keep me posted, will ya? I'll let you know what's going on from the hospital."

Tim and Steve reentered as the EMT's departed. Tim noticed Chaz's tension, "What's going on?"

Chaz's face held a stern expression and flushed cheeks. He shook his head, breathing raggedly as he clenched and released his fists repeatedly. "Did you guys know she was beaten on prom night?" When no one nodded, he continued. "Susan told me she had bruises, and handprints, and her skin was split open. The girls in the locker room saw it, but teased her for being a whore and needing it. Evidently, they assumed there was more than just our friendship with Carmen."

Tim spoke up. "One day when I subbed with Coach Millworth, Carmen could barely move and Millworth let her sit out. I thought it was just her time of the month. After prom, she wouldn't go out with me for a long while, and afterwards, there was no physical contact whatsoever. I overheard Joe say something, but I didn't know what he was referring to. He seemed to think she was being a slut and deserved whatever she got."

Officer Higgins spoke to the group. "Do any of you know if she reported the assault?"

Riley shook his head. "We're just now learning about it. Her husband did say there was that open case in her name. Maybe she did?"

Higgins responded. "We'll look into it. Is there anything else you guys can tell us about what happened here?" When silence came back in response, he said, "Ok, thanks the info. We'll contact you if we need anything further."

Jim grimaced. "Shit, forgot something. There's a table with some guys out front that saw something earlier that might be relevant. Want me to go grab them for you?"

Higgins and Earls both nodded as Jim paced over to the old men. "Hey guys, would you mind stepping back in here to talk to the officers?"

The gentlemen followed Jim to the back and took seats at the long table. Aidan and Paul led the other two patrol officers as they all returned.

"Found the spot one of those pictures was taken from. Long gone. Nothing else suspicious. Though we did find two expired plates as we circled the square." A brief chuckle from the officer attempted to break the heaviness of the atmosphere in the suddenly claustrophobic room.

Higgins and Earls took notes of the old men's observations, promising to run them down. Thanking them all, the police officers departed leaving, followed by the older men. Maria began refilling drinks around the table.

Sitting back down, the guys looked at one another as sounds of frustrated thinking caused them to voice primal grunts and groans for retribution. Aidan spoke first. "Anything of note?"

Steve voiced his thoughts. "How to begin unpacking those few minutes? God damn I'm ready to beat the shit out of someone."

Paul asked, "What the hell happened after Riley saw the texts?"

Tim answered him with a furious glare, though Paul recognized it was not directed at him. "Maria called Jackie, Carmen's daughter, who in turn called Carmen's husband. Nice fellow but what the fuck, leaving her alone for so long with that many kids? Anyway, got medical stuff sorted and he's on his way here. Found out she has a stalker and has since high school, but they don't know who it is."

Martin interrupted. "But the worst is what Chaz shared. Carmen was beaten after prom and the girls used to tease her about it because of her friendship with us."