Chapter 6 - Travels

IAN

I hung up with Jackie and arranged to fly home. The brush plane flew me into the capital, where I made the international flight home to my wife. Well, not home, but back to her.

I was sure when her ex-boyfriend died in jail, her troubles were over. I counted on it and took my research trip because of that assessment. We know better now. There was still something looming over Carmen.

God, what did she ever do to earn this constant harassment? I am glad she was with her friends from school. Everything she ever said about them was full of affection. I could read between the lines well enough. While positive they were like brothers, I also know she felt more than a familial affection for them.

I was forbidden to meet them. Carmen created a life away from her childhood because of her past. Not that it was her fault, but something had her guarded. She missed her family, but she admitted the memory of what was probably exceeded the reality.

We've built our own family, away from the negativity. Her mom belittled her dreams and cast aspersions on Carmen's abilities. The subtle, and not-so-subtle, jabs I heard over the years eroded something within her. I wonder what would have happened to Carmen had she stayed local and never left her hometown. It's not worth contemplating. I can see the brokenness and her attempts to make peace with every conversation.

Taylor and Evan are honest and dependable people. They're proactive and promote our interests as a family and as writers. With Carmen in touch with more than these two from her past, I wonder how it will affect our lives. As the plane begins its final descent, I put my belongings in my carry-on bag and packed away my concerns. I'll be meeting these mysterious guys soon enough.

I took an appreciative first look around the terminal as I disembarked with my fellow passengers. It appeared easier to navigate than others with clear signage and straight concourses. Finding the baggage carousel for my flight, I waited for the luggage to make its way to me. Waiting, I pulled out my phone and read the latest text from Aidan.

A bag with the camouflage bandana tied on top thumped as it dropped from the loading area. I watched as it circled along the baggage carousel, heading towards me. I forgot I didn't pack everything, and my arm arched as I hefted the bag, almost bumping into the older couple next to me. The dotty old lady giggled as she patted my arm. "Such a strong young man. I remember when Bob here used to swing me with as much ease."

I grinned at her.

"Pardon me, ma'am. Heading to see my wife, and I'm a little eager to get there. With a lady as lovely as you, I'm sure your husband wanted to be close as well." Shaking hands with the gentleman before spinning towards the exit, I said, "I hope you two have an amazing trip." He tipped his chin at me before pulling her close and snuggling up next. The beautiful sight of the elderly couple, still happy and affectionate after decades, forced a sigh of longing from me.

Smiling to myself, I exited the terminal to await Aidan. I shot him a message that I was out and untied the bandana while I waited.

***

AIDAN

After receiving Ian's text, I pulled out of the cell phone lot and maneuvered my SUV into the arrivals lane. I found his airline and pulled over, immediately seeing the tall man with a camo bandana. It made it easy for me to identify him, though he could probably recognize my SUV seeing my front vanity plates for Duke Blue Devils, which I told him to look for.

I rolled the front window down and thumbed to the back. "Slide your gear back there." The tall man quickly stowed his luggage and climbed into the front seat. After shaking hands, I turned my head to observe the oncoming traffic as I heard the metallic click showing he was secured in his safety belt.