Chapter 5 - What happened

NIC

It had been hours of waiting, and she was still out. The chairs in the hospital room reminded me of perching on barrels and crates while serving in the Sandbox. I stood up and stretched my muscles, noting my ass was going numb. "Do you wanna go get Ian when he gets in?"

Instead of answering, Riley shook his head as he watched Carmen's heartbeat pulsing on the monitor. I called his name again, and he replied, "I don't want to leave even though she's sleeping. We could see if someone else could do it?"

"Sure." I sent out a text to the guys.

Nic to Group: Carmen's staying overnight before doc releases her. Low blood sugar, dehydration triggered heart stuff.

Nic: Carmen's husband arriving at airport 6:30 p.m. Any1 available to pick him up?

Aidan to Group: I got him. Send me flight details

Nic: Should have them now

Nic: Thanks!

***

CARMEN-present

Low, rumbling voices penetrated the darkness as awareness crept through my body. This was not my bed, at home, nor my hotel room. I felt lethargic and my brain fuzzy. Where am I?

The pressure on my arm increased, coinciding with the faster beeps of the machine. I could not pull my encased hands free. My eyes opened wide, unable to comprehend my surroundings.

"Relax, Sparky. You're at the hospital." Riley caressed the back of my hand as he attempted to extend tranquility through the gentle touch.

A gentle, steady rhythm kept time, patting my other hand. "Darling, you're awake. You had us worried. How are you feeling?"

Recognition of the two faces before me allowed my body to slump into the thin mattress, which did nothing to disguise the hard surface below. I tried to force my brain to work. "What happened? I remember breakfast."

A sense of panic slammed into my mind, the adrenaline forcing me to freeze. My lungs stopped pulling in much-needed oxygen. My tongue blocked the back of my throat, not permitting the lump to be swallowed or released. The metallic taste filled my mouth again as my chin trembled; an inhuman sound keened over the sounds of the machines. I could feel the sweat soaking my skin, and I smelled the pungent aroma of fear in it.

Breaking the frozen state of my body, I needed to get far away. I tried to stand, but Nic's body prevented me from throwing my legs over the side. I looked down my body and saw further restraints in the form of an IV and heart monitor. Riley stood and reached over to hold my arm and hand down, as Nic did on his side, then passed my restrained hand to Riley.

Leaning forward, Nic filled my field of vision. Touching my nose with his, he exhaled, blowing hard directly into my face. The suddenness of the forced air in my face made me inhale. "That's it. Do it again." Nicholas blew his warm breath across my face again. "Now inhale and hold it. Five, four, three, two, one. Breathe. We're here, and you're safe."

Still confused, I asked again, but this time without the high-pitched keening. "What happened?"

Riley released my now calmed hands. "We wanted to know the same thing. Who was that?"

I closed my eyes. "I started receiving threats similar to what I got today. Often the threats are specifically against me; others threaten to expose others if I interact with them. It's always taunting, not quite threatening, but it is implied. I don't know what they want or who is behind them."