Chapter 9 - Grilled

RILEY-

Aidan asked again, "What the fuck are you talking about?" Nic and I could only stare at one another. A fist collided with my shoulder, snapping my attention away from my confused thoughts.

"Fuck off, Aidan. Don't get worked up over it. It's a pipedream." My lungs hitched as if they failed to function as Nic's stunned look caught mine. "Nah, forget it."

"Dude, is Maggie ok? What's going on with your girl?" Aidan was getting irritated with the lack of answers. Nic sank back in his chair, extending his legs and linking his fingers behind his head as he stared at the ceiling. I could see his internal conversation as his face twitched, expressing curiosity, doubt, hope, longing, and sadness. I'm sure mine mirrored it.

"Not a conversation for right now, that's for sure. Carmen's husband should be down here at any moment. Margret has some stuff going on." The elevator doors opened, and a tall man stepped off, searching for something. "Is that him?"

Aidan spun around, calling to the man, "Over here." He smiled in recognition, saluted, and strode over at a brisk pace.

"Hey, I'm Ian. Thanks for taking care of Carmen." He extended his hand to Nic, who had roused from his thoughts first. He stood as he greeted Ian.

"Nicholas, but you can call me Nic. It's our pleasure, and I wish her visit had ended anywhere except a hospital."

"Agree. However, it's fortuitous because now I get to meet the people there for her as a kid. Maybe this time, we'll end this stalker just by being here. One can always hope." Ian's smile was relaxed and open. He shook my hand. "Riley, if I'm not mistaken, correct?"

"That's me. Sorry, you had to come back for this, but I agree. It's nice to see Carmen again and catch up. Aidan said you were going to join us for dinner tonight. Shall we?" Aidan stood along with me, and as a unit, we made our way to our vehicles.

Turning to the guys, "Nic, want me to take you to Maria's to get your truck? We could meet over at Aidan's so you can get home when you need to. Or I can drop you off after dinner; up to you."

"Sure. I didn't even think of that. Guess we'll meet you two at the house then. Need us to grab anything on our way over?"

Aidan spoke up. "It's covered. We'll see you there shortly."

With quick fist bumps, we separated and made our way out of the parking lot. With a sharp chirp followed by flashing lights, we identified where I had parked earlier. It was midway into the parking lot. Stepping to either side of the truck, we opened the doors simultaneously. As we moved to get in, our eyes locked and brows raised in mutual acknowledgment of the thoughts running through our minds.

"Riley, sorry for that comment earlier. I wasn't thinking. Now I can't stop. Mind taking me to Maria's after we eat?"

I had moved us onto the street, aimed toward Aidan's. The fuel light chimed, so I pulled into the nearest gas station. I parked and turned the ignition off. Turning to Nic, I said, "Not a problem. We've got to tamp it down before we get there. That thought could get us slaughtered, as tempting as it would be. Dude, her husband is here right now. That's nothing to mess with."

I slid out of the truck but left the door open as I set up the pump. Flipping on the switch for automatic pumping, I stepped in front of my door. Folding my forearms on the roof, I leaned in. "If I thought it was possible, I'd be in, even if I have to deal with you for the rest of my life. We lost her once, and we all lost that chance. I can't lose having her in my life, even if it's only as a friend."

Nic ran his hand over his short hair before scrubbing his eyes with the heels of his palms. "I know, Riley. I fucked up more than the rest of you. I can't stop imagining how different it would be to have her as a woman who knows what she wants instead of her first time. I wouldn't have even thought about it, except we were just talking about Maggie. Shit!"