Chapter 8

I looked at my phone seeing 18 missed calls. All coming from one number. Wanda Maximoff.

The clock writes '15:21' and I'm getting ready for work.

I put on a T-shirt, on top of that I wore a hoodie and put on some pants.

Going to find my sneakers, I noticed Peter getting ready to go somewhere. So I make my way to his room and ask "where are you going?".

He looked at me through his mirror putting his shoes on and said "out with MJ. She asked me out"

I stare at him in confusion "I thought you liked that other guy"

After fully put his shoes on he turned to face me. "Oh, yeah. He moved away. a
And it turned out that he didn't like me"

Now I'm even more confused.

"Don't worry. I'm still bisexual, I just thought I liked him when I really didn't" Pete said before I could open my mouth.

I shake my head at the boy in front of me and leave his room.

Going to the front door I put my sneakers on and go out. Remembering I don't have a car. Knowing that I have to walk 2500 meters to get to the cafè.

So I put my headphones on and played some music. As I walk I look at a house on the other side of the road.

There was a family. A happy family. They were having a picnic on the front yard. Sitting on a wooden bench there was the mom and the dad. Beside them on a stroller there was a sleeping baby. And in front of them there was a boy and a girl playing with a dog. They seemed so happy, having some family time.

The dog looked at me and stopped jumping around. I stopped walking and looked back at him.

I stood like that for a little while.

I realize we can never have that. Me and Peter. I realize what he could not have. A family. An actual family. One that could love him for what he is. One that he could spend an afternoon with. One that he would come back to after every downfall. One that would embarrass him in front of his future partner. One that would scream when his name get called at graduation.

I realize that after everything I've done for him, after loving him with every bit of my heart, it's not enough, it will never be enough.

Hearing the dog bark at me makes me turn back to reality. I see that the parents were staring at me, but I don't pay any attention to it and just keep walking.

When I finally arrive at the cafè I head straight to the changing room for the staff and put in my uniform. We leave them here cause we aren't allowed to take them home. Rumor has it that this one guy who worked here used to steal the uniforms, and every time he came to work he took a new one.

Now every person that works here has only one uniform. If you lose it or rip it you have to buy another one with your own money.

So Gary made a unwritten rule that prevents us from taking the uniform home. Thankfully someone washes them every Sunday and brings them washed.

It was a simple uniform. A white shirt, dark khaki pants, waist apron with pockets and a little name tag to put on our chest.

I put the uniform on and go in the main area. As soon as I get there I see Ted taking a woman's order and Abby was nowhere to be seen.

After Ted took her order the came to the front counter. "Good afternoon" I greeted him

"dont say anything to me, I haven't had my coffee yet" he groaned.

I looked at him strangely "you're in a coffee shop and haven't had a coffee yet?"

He looked annoyed and said pointing at the costumers sitting down on the tables