It Starts With the Sun (Part 1)

Eighteen years ago, the King and his son mysteriously disappeared, leaving the Queen behind. This week, it's Simon's birthday. This morning, Baz just wants to make a quick bit of cash.

(Tangled AU)

---

Hello and welcome! Writing this and posting it was honestly absolute bliss, I had so much fun, so I hope you like it, too. (Also if you feel like leaving any feedback, any at all, I'd be literally over the moon 😂)

I'm gonna go ahead and say you don't need to have seen Tangled to read this, cos everything is explained, but this is inspired by the movie in a lot of ways that fans of it will pick up on, so it goes either way. The title and the chapter titles are things I used from the movie as well and are not mine.

I no joke made a 5 hour playlist for this, but I can't share spotify links, and I assume that you guys don't want a list of ninety songs. So here's my top ones, if you want fitting reading tunes:
South - Hippo Campus // Lemon Boy - Cavetown // I'll Follow the Sun- the Beatles // Better In Color - Lizzo // Heartbreak Weather - Niall Horan // willow - Taylor Swift // Thief - Imagine Dragons // Power - Bastille
And I have plenty more in reserve if anyone's interested haha.

And here's a small list of Victorian etc. slang you might find helpful whilst reading this fic. I did as much research as I could to be as accurate as possible. (However, I also stuck some modern phrases in every now and again- for ease and for the vibes.)
-hornswoggler (liar, cheater)
-afternoonified (smartened)
-back slang it (thieves' code; take the back way)
-butter upon bacon (extravagant)
-gas pipes (pants)
-make a stuffed bird laugh (preposterous)
-two-pair (two-storey building)
-I cry your mercy (I beg your pardon)
-What ho! (hello)
-foozler (clumsy person)

Last but certainly not least, read as you see fit here- warnings for homophobia, an appearance of alcohol that is not negative or extreme but is worth mentioning, injuries and fights, and general heavy emotions. Tangled plus snowbaz, pretty much. I'd classify this fic as light and fun, but there are some heavier undertones. I can 100% promise a happy and satisfying ending, though. <3

Enjoy! <3

---

Part One: When Will My Life Begin

---

Eight Years Ago

Simon

I edge outside carefully. The window swings shut behind me, and I wince at the smacking noise it makes when it connects with its hinges, but I continue on. The grass is warm under my bare feet when I tap down into it, just like the air around me.

June nights are always slightly warm like this. Which is nice- I never have to worry about freezing when I sneak out every year. Just being caught.

I think I've got my timing spot on this year. It's only a couple of minutes that I have to spend waiting outside our Tower, perched on a rock in only my bedclothes. I feel a grin threatening to overtake my face when I see the lights start to spread across the sky. It feels nice to smile like this, in my own private space. And I can always count on the lights to help put me in a good mood.

They appear one by one, at first, and then I blink and there's a swarm of them shining down on the trees around me. They're little balls of light, and I think they're conjured by magicians. (Father says they're stars, but I know stars don't shine nearly as brightly.)

As if feeding on the magick being released into the atmosphere, I feel my own power flick to the surface, and I let it. It's so often overwhelming, but I focus on the light. The dots pin-pricking the deep blue sky, somehow even better and brighter each year.