I Felt a Certain Way in Stages

Just some trans Simon, enemies to friends to lovers, hurt comfort fluff <3

I originally wrote this as a self-pick-me-up, and then my brain just kept creating storyline 😂 I hope you guys also enjoy, and that it'll bring comfort or good vibes to you, too <3

This takes place during the truce era, after Agatha's broken up with Simon but before the holidays (somewhere in autumn). Few other canon things are relevant though lol.

Read as you see fit here- warnings for illness, mentions/depictions of cycles, some mild transphobia, and general strife. There's quite a bit of hurt in this but there's also QUITE a bit of comfort. Feeling unsure how to preface this, so rest assured that it's extremely soft and has a happy ending. If y'all come across something you think should be mentioned, lmk! <3

Title from "Me & You Together Song" by the 1975. (Great to read this to- I had it on repeat while writing!)

Enjoy <3

Simon

My training with the Mage ended early tonight. Not because he was busy (he was) or because I got the job done (I did) (shapeshifting Pontianaks- the Humdrum is getting more creative). Not because it was too dangerous or because someone who knew what they were doing came and took over.

Because I fainted and woke up and the Mage was gone.

So I went back upstairs. The monster's taken care of, right? That's the object of most of my trainings these days. I still can't believe I fucking fainted. It happens sometimes, when my cycle starts, but it hasn't happened since at least Seventh Year.

The Mage supports me (I have him to thank that I was able to transition in the first place, after all), but he always disappears when this sort of stuff happens.

Penny calls him "a showboater to a fault." "He claims to be progressive and barrier-less, but then gets his knickers in a twist when you're in the infirmary for swinging a sword and wearing a binder at the same time- which you really need to stop doing, by the way-"

I'd always chalked it up to Penny's family not really liking the Mage. But it's harder to disagree with her when the man literally left me clocked out by the drawbridge not ten minutes ago.

I let myself into our room and head for the bathroom. Once I've put on a pad and made an attempt to wash my hair (read: sprinkle with water and brush with fingers), I shuffle over to my bed. Merlin, I just need to stop thinking about all this. I'm already exhausted, and another minute I spend awake is another minute I have to think about how unwell I feel.

Baz is in his own bed, sleeping like the dead. (Ha.) It's only eleven, but he might be taking a power nap before going to the Catacombs. I consider waking him up- we're on a truce now, and he might like to be reminded to go feed before it gets too late- but he looks so peaceful with his hair draped across his pillow, and I can't bring myself to do it.

I climb into my own bed and try to get my breathing under control. It helps, watching his chest rise and fall a few feet away.

I can't wait for this day to be over.

Baz

Something's wrong with Snow.

He came back from his latest escapade looking woosy. I was dozing when he came in. After banging around the room for a bit, he flopped onto his bed with a force that nearly crumpled it into wooden pieces, and then we both fell into an uneasy sleep.

I've woken up again, now. It's nearly two a.m. and I need to go hunting. But there's something very wrong with Snow.

He's thrashing and moaning in his sleep, all curled up in a ball. This is a classic nightmare position, but he's also clutching his stomach and is as pale as a ghost. If I didn't know yesterday's mission was Pontianakas, not vampires, (I keep track of all his missions when they're on school grounds,) I'd have half a mind to check for bites or signs he'd been Turned.