This Life

For context, this is Baz's POV and takes place 20 years after Carry On, when the Veil is opening again. Simon and Baz are married and have two kids- Leigh (8) and Tessa (5) :D I don't know if this has already been done before, but I really wanted to try my hand at it, lol!

Read as you see fit here- this is mostly fluff, but warnings for some references to PTSD, canon-esque language, and the Mage, who's really a warning in himself. Happy ending guaranteed <3

Enjoy!

My drive from work to the house is never long, but it feels like it is when I'm eager to be home.

I pull into the driveway mid-day on a Saturday, shoving my car key in my coat pocket. Simon and I picked a place close to Watford purposefully, since he knew I'd want to live at home, but it doesn't stop him from protesting when I go in on the weekends.

(Jus' wait til Monday, he'd teased me early this morning, half-asleep while I was already half-dressed. Only you would choose to go to work on a Saturday.)

(And he was right, the building was deserted- most of the teachers were holing up, and the kids were outside enjoying the last of the good weather. They looked happy, wandering the grounds instead of doing homework, which made me happy. And unnerved to think that that would be Leigh in a few years.)

(I hurried back home, either way. Simon was spam-texting me all morning: the grocery list, his stream of consciousness, demands that I be home in time for lunch... And I'd looked at my phone every time it lit up, like some sort of lovesick teenager.)

Inside, I hang my coat back up and put my wand in the bowl on the side table. I've only got one shoe toed off before I'm attacked by Tessa, who nearly faceplants mid-run in her attempt to tackle me around the legs. (Simon's child to a fault.) I give her a hug before slipping off my other shoe, and we head down the hall and into the kitchen.

It looks like Simon's making an early lunch, based on the way he's bent over the panini press with a singular focus. Leigh is sitting at the table, talking his ear off about something and only stopping to take a breath when I enter with Tessa. Simon turns and pecks me on the cheek when I get close enough.

I used to be in awe of all this. Shocked, every time I woke up in the morning, that I lived in a house with my husband and my kids and a kitten now called Sugar Plum that said kids talked us into keeping. I'm not shocked or disbelieving anymore. But I thank magic every day for this life.

"So," Simon chirps, handing me four stacked plates, "how was work?"

"It was fine. We're teaching the First Years about the Veil next week, so I was preparing lectures."

Simon huffs. "Lucky bastards. No one ever explained shit to me."

"You do know that half my curriculum is composed of things that were never explained to you, right? Every time you mention something important that got omitted from your education, I write it down for the next generation."

He laughs at that, swatting me on the shoulder. I think he can tell that I'm a little anxious, though. Circe, I've been anxious since September began.

"Don't stress about the Veil," Simon tells me as we sit down. Leigh takes her sandwich with thanks, and he tucks a blond curl behind her ear. "It's gonna be totally fine."

I give him a dubious look, but then we're drawn into an intense conversation regarding Disney princess movies versus Pixar movies, and I let myself forget about it, for a bit.

* * *

It comes up again a week or so later, the day of the first reported Visiting. Simon and I are folding clothes in our bedroom as I regale him with my concerns. (Multitasking at its finest, honestly.)