When I Open My Eyes (I Hope to See Your Face)

On a mage's nineteenth birthday, they swap places with their soulmate overnight, according to whoever's comes first. Simon has no idea why he went to sleep at Watford and woke up in the Pitch's Manor.

---

hello! SOMEHOW I've never written a snowbaz soulmate AU?? And, more believably, I was in the mood to write some trans rep. So. Here ya go lol. I tried a bit of a different writing style with this one, so I hope you guys like it, and I'm excited to hear what you think!

Everything in this is *relatively* canon- except for a few details I changed- up until right after Baz's kidnapping. (I.e., no Visiting, no kiss in the forest, etc.) After the kidnapping happens I take creative liberties to give Simon and Baz less problems as well as a reason to both be in school in February lmao (curse my pisces baby).

Title is from "Haze" by 5SOS (listen to their new album please please please it's so good :D).

Read as you see fit here- warnings for *very* lightly alluded to transphobia/gender dysphoria, General Snowbaz Angsting, and canon level swearing.

Enjoy! <3

---

"Got me feeling alright when the feeling's all gone

Got me feeling uptight every moment you're gone

Got a piece of your mind and I'm tryna hold on

It's a hell of a ride (loving you)"

-Haze, 5 Seconds of Summer

Baz

According to all of the legends that I have heard, if love wants to find a way, it will.

I've gone through phases where I was devout to the idea and phases where I denounced it. But I suppose that tonight will provide me with an answer whether I like it or not.

According to all of the legends that I have read about and researched, when a mage turns nineteen, they swap places with their soulmate overnight. No matter where they are. It's old magic, designed to give people a chance to uncover who their soulmate could be and use those hints to find them.

I have no idea how such old magic found a way to make something so romantic so fucking invasive at the same time, but here we are.

I can't refute the whole idea, anyway. Just last December I saw it with my own eyes: Dev was staying here over the holidays to help with the kids, and the morning after he had disappeared, replaced by Niall. (The poor man was incredibly embarrassed. I was delighted for both of them, partly because they're my best friends and partly because I find humour in their emotional constipation.)

According to Fiona, it happened with Mother and Father, too. They'd not yet met, but my father woke up on the morning of his nineteenth birthday with his cheek resting atop an open book. (Fiona says Mum was livid that she'd been teleported away from her studies.)

Father never talks about it and has told the children that soulmates don't exist, but the girls aren't stupid, and Daphne seems to make up for his silence by waxing poetic about soulmate magic every chance she gets. She wants the kids to know that it's an option, not fate, et cetera, et cetera.

Her informational and supportive diatribes do have some kinks that could be worked out, but it's better than the education Watford provides. (Read: none.) I hear other Eighth Years yammering about it nonstop, though, more proof that it must happen.

Since I've not yet been dragged anywhere in the middle of the night, I've deduced that (if vampires even get soulmates) I must be the eldest of us two, so tonight will be the night. I'm at home for winter break, and it's the eve of my birthday.