five

happy saturday! i'm very happy to be lounging in bed right now. i should be studying but procrastinating is my specialty (i also make a damn good breakfast but that's besides the point)😇

not proofread because why not, right?✨

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: slight mentions of guns, mentions of death
word count: 4010

"Good morning Nostia! I'm your host, Tiffany Evans, and thank you for tuning in. A surprise announcement has been made by parliament. Despite Princess Y/n's twenty-seventh birthday approaching, a decision has been made that has paused the coronation planning. According to parliament, they want what is best for the country. Frankly, an unmarried, childless woman isn't what they had in mind! Princess Y/n is to be married before her coronation date. May the best bachelor win!"

"What?" a voice shouted clearly through the thick walls. Emily immediately recognized the voice and started to look around for Y/n. She kicked off her comforter and instantly grabbed the gun from her bedside table. She ran out of the room without another word.

She noticed Harper standing in front of Queen Margaret's office door. The shouting match only got louder as she approached the heavy wooden door. She rubbed her ear to stop the ringing from occurring. "Harper? What's going on?"

"Good morning, Prentiss," Harper mumbled as she cracked her neck. "Do I want to know why you're in your pajamas with a loaded gun?"

"I heard the princess yell," Emily said and gestured to the door. "What is—"

"This is ridiculous!" Y/n shouted as the door flew open. The young woman didn't say anything as she immediately walked down the stairs. The two security guards raised their eyebrows as they watched the princess disappear from their view.

"Y/n!" Margaret shouted and made her way to the edge of the staircase. She sighed as she decided to let her granddaughter let her anger die out. She figured it was for the best. The queen turned and noticed the two security guards standing there not knowing what to do. "Good morning."

"Your Majesty," Emily said and bowed her head. She quickly stuffed her gun into the elastic band in her pants behind her. "Is there anything we can do to help?"

"I'm afraid not," Margaret said and shook her head slightly. "Make sure she doesn't go manic. Have her take the day before heading to the living room. She has a meeting with Salma Lawrence in the evening. Just watch her diligently."

"Of course," Emily said and held her hands behind her back. Margaret didn't say anything as she made her way down the stairs. Harper turned to Emily and looked at her up and down. "What?"

"They look comfortable," Harper said and picked at the material on Emily's shoulder. The black button down shirt was buttery smooth. Emily just furrowed her eyebrows as she walked away from the red-headed woman. "Right, not now."

Instead of taking her time in the shower, Emily rushed her morning routine. She was out of her room in record time as she started her search for the princess. Initially, she was going to go outside into the garden, but she knew that the princess would go somewhere nobody could find her.

"If I were a princess, where would I hide?" Emily asked herself as she reached the bottom of the staircase. She furrowed her eyebrows as she thought for a second. She immediately headed down into the basement area of the castle.

This was the first time that Emily was in the basement. The only thing that was here was the parliament chambers, an older library that is used primarily for the portrait painting sessions, and long, dusty halls.