four

hello everyone! i hope you all are having a happy saturday. i'm currently cleaning every inch of my space due to procrastination. i love avoiding my responsibilities 🤭

i also have to thank a coworker who has been listening to me ramble about this book. she's given me so many good ideas about it sooooooo😈

not proofread (not surprisingly) ✨

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: trauma talk, mentions of suicide, subtle homophobia
word count: 3443

Two Weeks Later:

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Come in!" Margaret yelled as she took off her glasses. Emily walked in, fully expecting just to see the queen, but was stunned to see she had company. "Good afternoon, Agent Prentiss."

"Good afternoon, Your Majesty. Your Highness," Emily said and bowed her head at both women. Y/n smiled softly as she rested her chin on her shoulder. "I'm sorry to intrude so abruptly, but I just wanted to fill you on the security report."

Emily walked over towards the queen's desk and handed her a folder. "I visited the team in the town for an update this morning. The team there put this together. I quickly reviewed it myself to ensure that our plan was being fully enacted. So far, nobody has encountered anyone with motive to send the threats to the palace. I'll continue to have the team blend in until the coronation."

"That's always wonderful to hear," Margaret said and nodded her head. "Agent Prentiss, please sit. The princess and I were just discussing her coronation. Time seems to be flying by. We're set to have a new reigning queen soon."

"Six months to be exact," Y/n said and smiled. Emily could see that this wasn't a genuine smile that she'd seen on a few occasions. This one had fear rooted in it.

"I'm sure you'll make a great queen. After all, you are learning from the best," Emily said and gestured her head towards Margaret. The older woman laughed as she shook her head.

"Oh, Agent Prentiss, you flatter me too much," Margaret said and glanced down at her watch. Her eyes widened. "Y/n, could you walk through the plans of the coronation with Agent Prentiss? I forgot I have a meeting with parliament about the big day."

"Of course," Y/n said and nodded her head. Emily smiled tightly as the queen quickly got up and grabbed her coat. The older woman didn't say anything as she quickly headed out the door. Emily could hear the faint conversation that the queen was having with Collin outside.

Once the door shut, Emily turned towards Y/n. The younger woman gestured her hand to the seat next to her. Emily hesitantly sat next to her and straightened out her blazer.

The young princess stood up and reached across her grandmother's desk, grabbing the blueprint of the palace. Y/n smoothed a hand over her hair as she concentrated on the map in front of her.

Meanwhile, Emily was simply admiring the young princess. Today, she was dressed much more casual in black jeans and a dijon yellow sweater. Emily could smell that familiar amber scent. It was driving Emily insane that she couldn't figure out the citrus aspect of the smell.

"So, the coronation is going to take place in the ballroom," Y/n said and turned to look at Emily. When the two locked eyes, Y/n couldn't find her point in all of this. All she wanted was to talk to Emily about anything else. Emily rubbed her lips together before lowering her eyes to the map in front of them. "You know what? I'm feeling a bit lightheaded. Would you care to join me for lunch?"