sixteen

good morning everyone! can you believe we are four chapters away from the end of this book? wild 😀

also i saw a lot of suggestions from last week's chapter...that will be taken into consideration🤭

not proofread because i'm writing something else✨

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: mentions of death, swearing, angst, fighting
word count: 3388

"What are you talking about? She's—She's fine! I just saw her. She's perfectly fine and alive," Y/n said as tears filled her eyes. She couldn't stop them from falling down her cheeks. "Emily, please tell me that this is some cruel prank she is playing."

"I wish I could," Emily said and knelt down next to the bed. She grabbed Y/n's hand and pressed a loving kiss to her palm and wrist. "We have to go back to see for ourselves."

"I said such an awful thing to her before I left. That can't be the last thing I said to her," Y/n said softly and felt her bottom lip quiver. She leaned her head forward and rested it against Emily's. "I can't go back, Emily. I can't."

"I'm sorry, but we can't stay here forever," Emily whispered and pressed a small kiss to the edge of Y/n's cheek. "They're expecting us back in Nostia as soon as possible. We need to be there before the press here alerts that idiot Tiffany Evans."

Emily had a plan.

She ordered every single guard to cause a distraction to the press. All of them leaked that the princess had managed to sneak away to the other end of the island to enjoy local food spots at Oclain.

And it had worked.

They got dressed, packed their things, and were out the door. Emily managed to slip out Y/n to an unmarked car before heading off to the airway. Both of them were completely silent the entire way there.

Mentally, Y/n was frozen in that bedroom. She refused to believe that anything bad had actually happened to the queen. Y/n fully thought that she'd be greeted by the palace doors by her grandmother with that same wide smile and bright eyes.

Unfortunately, she was very wrong.

When Y/n and Emily arrived in Nostia five hours later, reality had sunk into Y/n's bones. It sent a chill up her spine. Her country didn't feel the same anymore. It felt colder, harder, and much more gray than it was nearly twenty-four hours ago.

The rain blanketing the country also didn't help. The sky was also mourning the passing of Queen Margaret.

Emily managed to keep Y/n completely undercover as they pulled into palace. Thankfully, the rain kept the media away from the front gate. Y/n kept her eye on the opened doors, waiting for the shadowy figure to come out, but Margaret never came.

Emily let Y/n sit there for a second. She knew the second she left this car, she would no longer be the rebellious, mean princess the country had come to know. Now, she was the leader of their future.

"I will be in your presence still, unless you tell me to leave you alone," Emily said and turned back towards Y/n. "Even though you and I both know I won't."

Y/n was about to respond when the car door opened. One of the guards had his hand out for her to grab and had an umbrella waiting for Y/n. "Your Majesty."

Your Majesty.

Y/n instantly felt her stomach turn.

Emily stepped out of the car and grabbed the umbrella that Collin had waiting for her. She walked around to the other side of the car before offering Y/n her hand. The glare she gave the other security guard was enough to kill him.