twelve

hello everyone! i hope you all are doing well. writing essay after essay is insanely tiring. so i will probably be getting some sleep after posting this😴

not proofread because...it's not🙂

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: jealousy, cheating
word count: 3742

"Good morning Nostia! I'm your host, Tiffany Evans, and thank you for tuning in. It's been rather quiet from the palace the past few days. Has the royal family finally decided to do something about the unmarried princess? Why is everything so secretive now? We're all wondering the same thing. Specifically, how much time we have to wait for a new queen. Meanwhile, Stephen seems to have his eye on the prize and was spotted leaving a notorious jeweler in Mertz. Seems like someone is finally making a move."

Emily walked down the stairs as quickly as she could. She was running a bit late to go relieve Harper from the garden. In her haste, she failed to register the body turning the corner at the exact same time. They collided, and the other person successfully landed right on top of Emily.

"I'm so—"

Then Emily's eyes finally realized who exactly it was.

"Emily," Y/n said and smiled softly. The two quickly remembered that they were in the middle of the palace during the morning rush. Y/n got up and lent Emily a hand to get up. Once they were both back on their feet, their hands forgot to let go of each other. It wasn't until they heard echoing footsteps that they pulled back.

"Right," they both said softly and smiled nervously at the other. The two women didn't know where they stood with everything. All they knew is that they desperately wanted more.

"Listen," Y/n said and tugged her arm towards the formal living room. Both of them quickly glanced at the hallway before entering. Y/n quietly shut the door behind them and turned to Emily. "I think we both are confused about what happened at the fruit trees. It was a night to remember, but it's a night that—I just—I don't know what to think."

"Think?" Emily asked and raised an eyebrow. Y/n swallowed harshly and took a step closer to Emily. Both of them looked deep into each other's eyes, looking for any sort of doubt.

"I—I don't know how to move on from this. From you,"Y/n whispered as she tugged at the edge of Emily's blazer. The raven-haired woman shut her eyes as she took in the intoxicating smell of Y/n. "We can't, but that doesn't mean we both don't want to."

"No, you're right," Emily said and grabbed onto the princess's hand. She leaned down and placed a gentle kiss to her palm. "We can't do this anymore. You're planning on getting engaged to Stephen, and I'm—I have London waiting for me. He is an extremely lucky man. I hope he knows that."

"We can still be—"

"Friendly," both said at the same time. Emily said it more sarcastically compared to Y/n's sincerity. The two of them smiled softly before nodding their heads.

"Friends," Emily said and swallowed harshly.

"The best of friends," Y/n said and forced a smile. It took both of them approximately one second to toss that idea out of the window and grab onto the other. The two met in a desperate kiss, trying to make it last for as long as possible.

That was until the other entrance door to the living room opened. Both immediately stopped and froze in their spot.

"Will you inform Agent Prentiss that my granddaughter is lost somewhere in the palace?" Margaret said and opened the door widely. The princess quickly, and as quietly as possible, slipped out of the room from the door they were pressed against.