viii. i thought you were a vampire

"Edward, I said leave me alone." Bella said as her and Elizabeth entered the house. "Bella, don't do this, please." He said. "It's over! Get out!" Bella yelled, slamming the door in his face. "Hey, hey, hey, hey." Charlie said, rushing over to the door. "Bella, why are you doing this?" Elizabeth asked, faking innocence in the entire scheme of things. "Bella, what's going on?" Charlie asked as him and Elizabeth chased Bella up the stairs. "I just gotta get out of here. I'm leaving. Now." Bella said, opening her bedroom door and slamming it in her sister and father's faces.

Charlie knocked on the door. "Bella?" She didn't answer. "What happened?" He asked Elizabeth. She shook her head. "I don't know." She answered. "Bella, what's going on?" Charlie asked again. Bella exited her room and walked into the bathroom. "Did he hurt you?" Charlie asked. "No." "Break up with you or something?" "No, I broke up with him." Bella responded, walking out of the bathroom and back into her bedroom. "I thought you liked him." Charlie said through the door. Bella opened the door again. "Yeah, that's why I have to leave. I don't want this. I have to go home."

"This is home, Bella." Elizabeth said. "Home? Your mom's not even in Phoenix." Charlie said. She'll come home. I'll call her from the road." Bella said. "You're not gonna drive home right now. You can sleep on it. If you still feel like going in the morning, I'll take you to the airport." As Charlie followed her down the stairs, Elizabeth felt a gust of wind. She turned to face Rosalie. "Here. We'll meet you back at the house." Rosalie said, handing Landon to her. Elizabeth nodded, kissing Rosalie quickly before following Bella and Charlie down the stairs.

"Look, Bella, I know I'm not that much fun to be around, but I can change that. We can do more stuff together." Charlie said. "Like what? Like watch baseball on the flat screen? Eat at the diner every night? Steak and cobbler and pie. Dad, that's you. That's not me." Bella said. "Bella, come on, I just... I just got you back." Elizabeth could see the pain in Bella's eyes as she said what she said next. "Yeah, and, you know if I don't get out now, then I'm just gonna be stuck here like Mom." She walked out and slammed the door behind her. "I'm so sorry, Daddy." Elizabeth said, watching Charlie's face drop. 

"I'll go after her. Try to knock some sense into her." She said. "I can watch Landon." Charlie said sadly. "I would feel better having him with me." Charlie nodded. "I love you, Daddy." Elizabeth said before she left the house. She got into Bella's truck after her and tucked Landon into her lap. "Your father's gonna forgive you." Edward said, hanging off the side of the truck. "Why don't you let me drive?" He asked, opening the door. Bella moved over beside Elizabeth. "He won't." She said. "You should've seen his face." "It was heartbreaking." Elizabeth said. "I told him the same thing that my mom told him when she was leaving him."

Landon started crying. "Shit, he's hungry." Elizabeth said. She tried rocking him to soothe him. "Not much longer, baby." She said. "The tracker's following us." Edward said. Elizabeth looked up from Landon. "What?" She shouted. A loud thud was heard. Landon started crying harder. "It's just Emmett." Edward told them. "Oh, thank God." Elizabeth said. "Alice is in the car behind us." They passed by the diner to see all of their friends coming out. Edward drove them to the Cullen house and they opened the door to see Laurent.

Elizabeth jumped back into Emmett's chest as he protectively wrapped an arm around her and Landon. "Wait. He came to warn us about James. This isn't my fight, and I've grown tired of his games, but he's got unparalleled senses, absolutely lethal. I've never seen anything like him in my three hundred years. And the woman, Victoria, don't underestimate her." Laurent said before turning to look at Elizabeth and the child in her arms. "I thought you were a vampire." He said. Elizabeth shook her head. Lauren tilted his head in confusion before his eyes lit up. "A shared mate. How rare. Their scents cover yours. I will leave you be now." He said before leaving.

Elizabeth went to the kitchen and made Landon a bottle, being cautious, not knowing whether James or Victoria would show up at any moment. Rosalie and Emmett entered the kitchen. "Are you going to be alright here by yourself?" Emmett asked. "I don't wanna leave you." Rosalie said. "I'll be fine. Just do what you need to do to protect my sister." Elizabeth said. Rosalie rolled her eyes but nodded. "We love you." She said. "I love you guys too." They both kissed her quickly before rushing out.

                                                                                                   ***

Elizabeth was eating dinner alone when she felt a gust of wind brush by her. She knew it wasn't Rosalie or Emmett. The bond would've told her that. "Hello, Elizabeth." She turned around to face Victoria. "Victoria." She stuttered. "They left you all alone here? That's not very smart now is it." The redheaded vampire said. "You can't hurt me." Elizabeth said. "Can't I?" Victoria asked. "It's the law." Elizabeth said. Victoria reached out and caressed Elizabeth's cheek. "It's such a shame. You are quite pretty. You would've been such a good mate for me and James." "Don't touch me." Elizabeth growled.

"You're a fiesty little one, aren't you?" Victoria said, laughing. "You can't hurt me." Elizabeth repeated. "Maybe. That won't stop me from trying. Goodbye, Elizabeth." Victoria said before disappearing. Rosalie and Emmett ran into the kitchen. "Where is she?" Emmett yelled. "She's gone. It's okay. I'm fine. She can't hurt me." Elizabeth said. "No one else touches what's ours." Emmett growled, walking towards Elizabeth. He roughly grabbed her hips, and Elizabeth was sure there would be bruises the next day. He slammed his lips onto hers and slid his tongue into her mouth. "Mine." He whispered, pulling away. "And mine." Rosalie said.

                                                                                                 ***

Elizabeth walked down the stairs to see Rosalie and Emmett waiting for her and Edward waiting for Bella

Elizabeth walked down the stairs to see Rosalie and Emmett waiting for her and Edward waiting for Bella. "You look absolutely stunning." Emmett said. "Thank you." Elizabeth said with a blush. "You don't look too bad yourself." They heard footsteps on the stairs. "Clumsy's coming." Emmett held out his arms. "Shall we?" He asked. "We shall." Rosalie responded as they linked arms with him. "Bye, Daddy. Bye, bubba." Elizabeth said as Bella finally got down the stairs. They had come up with the story that Bella fell down the stairs and through a window at the hotel in Phoenix after the James incident.

"We'll meet you guys there." Edward said as he awaited his date. Charlie closed the door behind the throuple as they left. Emmett opened the door to Rosalie's BMW for Elizabeth. "Honestly, it's taking everything in me to hold back from ripping that dress off you right here and now." He said. "You really want me, don't you?" Elizabeth asked as she slid into the backseat. "You have no idea." Rosalie said. "I guess that'll be one of the perks of being a vampire, huh?" Elizabeth teased. "Oh, shut up."