viii. it's a shared mate thing

"I'm not too sure about this

"I'm not too sure about this." Elizabeth said as her, Emmett, and Rosalie followed after one of the Volturi guards, Heidi, down the long hallway and to the throne room. "It has to be done." Emmett responded. "Why?" Elizabeth asked. "It's a shared mate thing. Since the Volturi protect shared mates, they like to know exactly who they're protecting." Rosalie explained as Heidi opened the doors to the throne room. The three kings, Aro, Caius, and Marcus all sat on their thrones at the front of the room. Alec, Jane, Felix, and Demetri stood off to the side.

"Ah, there she is." Aro, said, getting up from his throne and walking towards the three mates. "Hello, Aro." Elizabeth said politely. "Hello, dear one." He said, stopping in front of her. "Brother." Marcus said, catching Aro's attention. "They have one of the strongest shared mate bonds we've ever encountered." Marcus explained. Aro laughed maniacally. He turned back to Elizabeth who looked somewhat confused. He held out his hand. Elizabeth didn't know what to do.

"Aro can read your thoughts with just a single touch." Rosalie whispered into her ear. "Oh. Okay." Elizabeth nodded and held out her hand. Aro clasped it in both of his and closed his eyes. He pulled away with a gasp. "You're right, brother. How extraordinary." Aro said. Elizabeth stepped back into Rosalie and Emmett's arms. "You remind me a lot of my sister, Didyme." Aro said affectionately. Elizabeth tilted her head in confusion. "A beautiful ray on sunshine. Always full of love and kindness." Aro explained.

Elizabeth smiled at him. "Now, Elizabeth, you're a mother, correct?" Aro asked Elizabeth. "Yes, I am." She responded, smiling proudly before her eyes drifted over to Caius who watched her with interest. "Oh, that's wonderful." Aro exclaimed before he settled down and stared at Elizabeth. "Do you have a gift, my dear?" He asked. Elizabeth nodded. "Humanity." She responded. "I can eat, sleep, breathe, I have a heartbeat. I assume I don't sparkle in the sun." She said, furrowing her eyebrows. "I wouldn't know. It hasn't been sunny in Forks since I've been turned." She said.

Aro giggled. "You are quite an interesting girl." Caius said, speaking up for the first time since Elizabeth, Emmett, and Rosalie got here. Elizabeth giggled. "Thank you?" She said, confused. An idea popped into her head. "Can-" "No." Aro cut her off. "You don't even know what I was gonna ask yet." She pointed out. "You're going to ask if Alec can come with you. The answer is no." Aro said again. "But-" Aro gave her a look. "I appreciate your resilience, Elizabeth. You are welcome here anytime."

                                                                                               ***

Elizabeth had come to find out that she in fact did not sparkle in the sunlight. She had decided to go out into the Volturi garden to read for a little bit, and to just take in the beauty of Volterra. She heard movement behind her but didn't bother to look up from her book. "Pride and Prejudice. One of my favorites." Alec said, coming to sit beside her. She looked up at him. "Really?" She asked. He nodded. "I read it when it was first released." He said. "Edward gave me this for my last birthday." Elizabeth said.

Alec looked away at the mention of his mate. "Alec." He turned back towards her. "Do you love him?" She asked, placing her book down. Alec nodded. "I do." He responded. Elizabeth didn't say anything, sensing that he wanted to get a few things off his chest. "And I want to be with him. But I just can't." He admitted. Elizabeth placed her hand on his cheek. "I know, honey. I know." She said. "I appreciate you trying." Alec told her. Jane, Felix, Heidi, and Demetri walked out into the garden.

Jane sat down on the other side of Elizabeth with Felix, her mate, at her feet. Demetri sat down in the garden chair and pulled Heidi into his lap. "Is there anything I can help you with, children?" Elizabeth asked. They shook their heads. "We just wanted to say that we appreciate you." Felix said. "You make us feel safe." Demetri admitted. "We haven't felt that way since we were human." Heidi said.

Elizabeth grabbed Jane and Alec's hands. "I'm sorry for everything that has happened to you during your lives. I'm glad that you trust me enough to feel safe around me." She said, rubbing her thumbs across the back of the twins' hands. "Um.." Jane spoke up. "Is it okay if we maybe... call you Mom?" She asked quietly. Elizabeth's heart swelled. "If that is something that you guys would like, then I would be honored for you to call me Mom." Elizabeth responded, reaching up to caress Jane's cheek.

                                                                                                   ***

Elizabeth, Emmett, and Rosalie walked into the Cullen house after their trip to Volterra. "Mom!" Bree shouted out, running up to Elizabeth. She hugged her, and Elizabeth pulled away to see Bree's eyes already turning a honey color. "Mommy!" Landon yelled, running into the room with Edward chasing after him. "Hi, baby." She said, picking him up. Edward read through her mind. "Elizabeth, are you serious?" He asked. "What?" Rosalie asked. "Your mate here may have adopted five vampire children on your trip to Volterra." Edward told them.

Emmett started laughing. "You really are a mama bear." Quil said, entering the house with Embry by his side. "Well, it looks like our family just got a lot bigger." Emmett said. "What a dysfunctional bunch we are." Rosalie added. "Just one big, happy, vampire family." Elizabeth said. Bella walked into the room. "Well, maybe not so happy." Elizabeth said. Bella walked over to Elizabeth. "Um, we actually have something to tell you guys." Bella said, wrapping Edward's arm around her waist. "We're engaged." Edward said with a grimace. "What?!"