v. for the sake of my family

"Lotta red eyes around here

"Lotta red eyes around here." Embry said as he stood with Jacob, Elizabeth, and Bella. "They agreed not to hunt in the area." Bella said. "But they'll feed somewhere." Quil said, walking over with Bree and Riley. Riley wrapped his arm around Bella's waist and she leaned into him. Elizabeth smiled, glad that her sister had found true happiness. "I'm just worried about Angela." Jacob said. "She'll be fine." Elizabeth said. "We'll protect her." Jacob nodded at her.

                                                                                            ***

Elizabeth stood with Edward and Bella outside with a few of the other vampires. Zafrina, one of the vampires from the Amazon, stared at Edward and Elizabeth, and then suddenly they were in the Amazon Rainforest. "It's beautiful." Elizabeth said, looking around. "Bella, if you weren't next to me right now, I could swear this was real." Edward said. "I don't see anything." Bella said. Eleazar walked over to them. "Edward, you didn't tell me Bella was a shield." He said as Zafrina brought Edward and Elizabeth out of her hallucination.

Bella turned to look at Edward. "What's a shield?" She asked. "The one I've met are so different." Edward said. "It's a defensive talent." Eleazar said. "It's why I couldn't read your mind, even before." Edward realized. "It's why Aro couldn't. You have a very powerful gift." Kate grabbed Bella's hand, trying to shock her with her gift. "Oh, yeah, she's a shield, alright. Shoulda put her on her ass." She said. "Or your voltage has been exaggerated." Garrett spoke up. Kate wiggled her fingers at him. "Maybe it only works on the weak." She said.

"Garrett, I wouldn't." Carlisle said as Garrett reached out to touch Kate's hand. He ignored Carlisle and touched Kate's hand with his finger. She shocked him and sent him to the ground with a groan. He looked back up at her. "You are an amazing woman." He said. Everyone looked over when they heard rustling in the trees. They all ran to where Jacob, Embry, and three new wolves were gathered. There were two vampires sitting on a rock above them. "Vladimir. Stefan. You're a long way from home." Carlisle said. "What are they doing here?" Kate asked. "We heard the Volturi were moving against you. But that you would not stand alone." The white haired vampire, Vladimir, said. 

"We didn't do what we were accused of." Carlisle told them. "We do not care what you did, Carlisle." Vladimir said. "We have been waiting a millennium for the Italian scum to be challenged." Stefan said. Elizabeth turned to Tanya. "A millennium? How old are these guys?" She whispered. Tanya lightly elbowed her in the ribs. "It's not our plan to fight the Volturi." Carlisle informed them. "Shame," Vladimir said. "Aro's witnesses will be so disappointed." "They enjoy a good fight." The two vampires chuckled. "Aro's witnesses?" Eleazar asked, stepping forwards. "Aw. Still hoping they'll listen?" Vladimir asked before his eyes fell on Elizabeth. "Well, hello." He said, going to move towards her. Embry moved in front of her, growling. Elizabeth scratched him behind the ears. Vladimir raised an eyebrow at the scene in front of him.

                                                                                             ***

"When Aro wants someone from a coven it's never long before evidence turns up proving that coven committed some crime." Eleazar explained in the living room later that night. Bree placed her head on Elizabeth's shoulder and Elizabeth started running her hands through her hair. "So, he's done this before?" Bella asked. "It happens so rarely, I never realized it was a pattern." Eleazar responded. "Apparently he always pardons one person whose thoughts he claims are repentant. This person always has an ability. And they're always given a place with the guard." He explained.

"This is all about Alice. He has no one like her." Edward said. "Which is why she left." Bella realized. Carlisle turned to look at Elizabeth. "This could also be about you." He said. "Me?" Carlisle nodded. "They all have a soft spot for you. I'm sure Aro wants you to join him." He explained. "They're not going to touch her." Emmett growled. "You can count on that." Embry said, and Quil agreed from his lap. "Why does Aro need witnesses anyways?" Riley asked, focusing on the main conversation on hand.

"To spread the word that justice has been served." Alistair said. "After he slaughters an entire coven." Amun and Kebi went to leave. "Benjamin, Tia, we're leaving." Amun said. "And where will you go?" Edward asked. "What makes you think they'll be satisfied with Alice and Elizabeth? What's to stop them from going after Benjamin next? Or Zafrina or Kate or anyone else with a gift? Anyone they want. Their goal isn't punishment, it's power. It's acquisition. Carlisle might not ask you to fight, but I will." Edward ranted.

"For the sake of my family. But also for yours. And for the way you want to live." He finished. Jacob, Embry, Quil, and Seth stood up. "The packs will fight." Seth said. "We've never been afraid of vampires." Jacob added. The Denalis stood up. "We will fight." Tanya said. "This won't be the first time I fought a king's rule." Garrett said, stepping forwards. "We'll join you." Benjamin said. "No." Amun said, turning to look at him. "I will do the right thing, Amun. You may do as you please." Benjamin told him. Elizabeth, Bella, and Bree all stood up, looking around at everyone.

"We will stand with you." Senna said. "So will we." Siobhan, the leader of the Irish coven said. The nomads, including Peter and Charlotte, friends of Jasper's from the war, nodded at the Cullen family. "That didn't take much." Vladimir commented. "Let's hope it doesn't come to that." Edward said. "We'll see." Alistair said. He scoffed and walked back upstairs. 

                                                                                            ***

"Mommy?" Landon asked as Elizabeth was cleaning some dishes later that night. "Yes, baby?" She asked, wiping her hands on a towel before turning to face him. "Why are there so many red eyes here?" He asked. Elizabeth sighed. "Well, you know how Nessie is different than you, right?" Landon nodded. "Well, there are some bad people out there who don't like that. All of our red eyed friends are here to help her." Elizabeth explained, pushing some of Landon's hair out of his face. "I wanna help too." Landon exclaimed.

"You know how you can help?" Elizabeth asked. "By going to bed." She teased. Landon laughed. Angela came into the room. "I'll take him." She said. "Thank you." Elizabeth responded. "Okay, go with Auntie Angie." "Goodnight, Mommy." Landon said, curling himself into Angela's arms. "Goodnight, my angel." Elizabeth said. Angela left the room and Elizabeth sighed, running a hand over her face.