vi. it's worth a shot

"Sam's lost the element of surprise and he doesn't want to take you on outnumbered, so he's not going to come at you head on." Jacob explained. "He's got the place surrounded and he'll wait for his opportunity." "We won't get through without a fight." Emmett said. "No fights." Carlisle said to him. "We won't be the ones to break the treaty." "The treaty is void, at least in Sam's mind." Embry said from where he sat on the couch with Quil in his lap. "Not in ours." Esme said. "Carlisle, no one's hunted for weeks." Emmett said. "We'll make do." Esme said. "You've done us a great service, Jacob, Embry, Quil." Carlisle said. "Thank you."

                                                                                                 ***

"If you guys need to hunt, you can go on." Elizabeth said to Rosalie and Emmett. "Angela and I will stay with Bella. I can survive on human food for a little while longer." She continued. They shook their heads. "No way." Rosalie said. "And leave you and Landon here unprotected? Definitely not." Emmett exclaimed. "I can protect us perfectly fine. They can't hurt me." Elizabeth said. Emmett placed a kiss on her temple. "We know. That doesn't stop us from worrying." He said.

                                                                                                ***

"Your rib is cracked." Carlisle said to Bella in his office. "But there are no splinters. You haven't punctured anything." He continued. "Yet." Edward added. "Edward." Carlisle warned. "It's breaking her bones now." Edward said, looking over to Bella. She was getting worse. Elizabeth ran her fingers through Bella's hair, untangling the knots. "It's crushing you from the inside out. Carlisle, tell her what you told me. Tell her." Bella looked confused. "Carlisle, tell me. It's alright." She said.

Carlisle walked towards the sick human. "The fetus isn't compatible with your body. It's too strong. It won't allow you to get the nutrition you need. It's starving you by the hour. I can't stop it and I can't slow it down." Carlisle explained and Bella nodded. "At this rate, your heart will give out before you can deliver." He said. "Then I'll hold on as long as I can, and then-" Carlisle cut her off. "Bella. There are some conditions that even venom can't overcome. You understand? I'm sorry." Bella nodded as tears brimmed at her eyes. Carlisle left the room, leaving Edward and Elizabeth with Bella.

"Edward, I'm sorry." Bella said. Edward shook his head. "Don't worry. You're going to have a part of me. He'll need you." Bella said. "Do you honestly think that I could love it or even tolerate it if it killed you?" Edward asked. "It's not his fault." Bella said. "You have to accept what is." "Because you've given me no choice!" Edward yelled. Elizabeth sped over to him. "Edward, you need to calm down." She said, grabbing onto his arms. "You decided this on your own." Edward said to Bella. "You've decided to leave us." He said, referencing himself and Elizabeth. "Don't see it that way." Bella said.

"Well, I have no other way to see it. Because it's us who'll lose you. And we don't choose that. We don't choose that." Edward shrugged Elizabeth's hands off of him. He exited Carlisle's office. Bella started crying. "I'll talk to him." Elizabeth said, kissing Bella on the forehead before speeding after Edward. He stopped, feeling Elizabeth's presence behind him. She didn't even have to say anything. Edward turned around and rushed into her arms. "What have I done?" He choked out. Elizabeth wrapped her arms around him tightly. She didn't say anything. 

                                                                                              ***

Rosalie ran a warm bath for Bella. Elizabeth helped her stand up and untie her robe. Bella looked at herself in the mirror. Her bones were sticking out. She was getting weaker by the day. They looked up to see Edward through the mirror. Bella covered herself back up as Elizabeth went to close the door.

                                                                                                 ***

Carlisle had hooked Bella up to an IV drip. She was getting even weaker. They had a football game on in the background but nobody paid attention to it. "Are you cold?" Edward asked Bella. She nodded. "It's okay, Auntie Bella. I'll warm you up." Landon said, cuddling up to her. Elizabeth smiled lightly before speeding to grab some blankets. She came back and placed them over Bella. "I can help." Seth said, moving over to sit next to Bella. He placed his hand on her leg and let his body heat go through her.

Landon glared at Seth before jumping over into Alice's lap. Bella sat up, urging. Edward grabbed the bucket that was in front of her and held it up. Bella started urging, but nothing even came up. "We need to find a way to get some food into her system." Esme said. Bella laid back down on the couch, exhausted. "If only I could see the fetus..." Alice started. "The baby." Rosalie said. "Maybe I could figure out what it wants." Alice finished off. An idea popped into Elizabeth's head. "Think you might be right." Edward said to her and Jacob.

"Jacob and Elizabeth just had the same idea." Edward told everyone. Jacob smirked. "It wasn't an idea. It was a snide comment." He said. "What were you guys thinking?" Carlisle asked. "That it's probably just looking for someone to sink its teeth into." Jacob told them. "Elizabeth said it a lot nicer." Edward said. "I just said she's probably thirsty." "You're right." Bella said. "I know the feeling." Emmett said. "If it's craving, it's not going to want animal blood." Edward said. "I have some O negative laid aside for Bella." Carlisle said. "It's worth a shot." Elizabeth said. Carlisle went to grab a blood bag.

"Walk with me." Alice said to Jasper, knowing it would probably set him off. They left the room. "You guys should go too." Elizabeth said, wrapping her arms around Emmett's shoulders. Rosalie nodded, agreeing with her mate. Emmett and Bree got up and followed after Alice and Jasper. Elizabeth walked over and sat on Rosalie's lap. "Wait, wait, wait. You're going to make her drink that?" Embry exclaimed as Carlisle poured the blood bag into a glass. "It's the fastest way to test the theory." Carlisle said.

"Only if you're comfortable with it." Edward said to Bella. "I'll try anything." Bella said, sitting up. "Just hold on." Edward said, walking towards Carlisle. "I think I'm going to be sick." Seth said, moving away from Bella. Edward came back over with a styrofoam cup with a cover and a straw. "This might make it easier to drink." He said. Seth moved further away. Bella took a sip of the blood. "Tastes... good." She said. She drank some more and color started appearing back on her face. "Your pulse is already getting stronger." Carlisle said. "It's working." Elizabeth pointed out.