iv. i'm already mated to someone else

Bella and Elizabeth pulled into Jacob's driveway

Bella and Elizabeth pulled into Jacob's driveway. Jacob came out of the shed and ran towards them as they got out of Bella's truck. "Bella. Where the hell have you been, loca?" He asked, swooping Bella into a hug, lifting her off the ground. "I, uh, brought you something." Bella said, gesturing to the motorbikes in the pan of the truck. "It's a little crazy." She opened the tailgate and removed the sheet off of the bikes. "Wow. Scrap metal. You shouldn't have." Jacob said. "I saved it from the junkyard." Jacob nodded.

Bella cleared her throat. "I think they'll probably cost more to fix than they're worth. But then I thought if I had a mechanic friend to help me out, then..." Bella trailed off. "Ah, me." Jacob realized. "Being the mechanic type friend?" "That's right." "Since when are you into motorcycles?" Jacob asked. "I'm also wondering that." Elizabeth finally spoke up. "Since now." Bella told them. "I get it if you think that this is really stupid and reckless." "It is." Elizabeth said. "When do we start?" Jacob asked. "Um.. Now. Please." Jacob chuckled. "Alright." He said, going to move the motorcycles out of the pan of the truck.

"Oh, wait. Be careful. Those things are actually really heavy, so..." Bella trailed off once Jacob easily lifted the motorcycle onto the ground. Bella laughed nervously. "Jake, you're, like, buff. How did that happen?" She asked. "You're like 16. I don't get it." Jacob chuckled. "Age is just a number, baby." Elizabeth stifled back a laugh. "What are you like forty now?" He asked. "Feels like that sometimes." Bella responded. 

                                                                                                ***

Bella turned off the music that Jacob had playing in his shed. "That song's good. You don't like it?" Jacob asked. "Um, I don't really like music anymore, kind of." Bella responded. "Okay. No more music." Jacob said. "I'm bored." Elizabeth said. This wasn't her thing. But as usual, Bella ignored her. "So, I was thinking, if we're going to do this every day, and hopefully we will, we have to, like, fit some homework in there somewhere. I don't want Billy thinking that I'm a bad influence on you." Bella said. "You, influence me?" Jacob questioned. "Please."

"Are you... I'm older than you, so that makes me the influencer and you the influencee." Jacob laughed. "No, no, no. My size and knowledge base actually makes me older than you, because of your general paleness and lack of know how." "I convinced you to build two wheeled death machines with me. Don't you think that makes you kind of young and naive?" Bella questioned. Jacob dropped the wrench he was holding and turned to face Bella. "Okay, so where do we stand?" "I'm thirty five. And you might be like thirty two." Bella responded.

There was a knock on the door. "Yo, Jake, you in here?" A boy called out. Bella and Elizabeth went to get up. "No, it's okay, it's just my boys." Two boys entered the shed. "Hey, Jake." One of them said. "Hey, guys, this is Bella, and her sister, Elizabeth. Bella, Elizabeth, that's Quil, and Embry." "I'm Quil Ateara." There was an awkward silence. "So, the bike building story's true." Quil commented. "Oh, yeah, yeah. I taught him everything he knows." Bella said, attempting to stand up but tripping instead. Elizabeth held back a laugh.

"What about the part where you're his girlfriend?" This time Elizabeth couldn't stop herself from laughing. "Uh, we're friends, you know." Bella said. "Ooh, burn." Embry said. "Actually, remember I said she's a girl and a friend." Jacob said. "Embry, do you remember him making that distinction?" Quil asked. "Nope. I would've assumed Bella was the girl and Elizabeth was the friend." Embry said. "So, you guys have girlfriends. That's awesome." Bella said, diverting the conversation.

Jacob laughed. "Yeah, right. Quil's actually taking his cousin to prom." "Yeah, that's still a riot. You want funny, Black? I'll give you funny." Quil ran towards Jacob. "I got five bucks on Quil." Embry said. "You're on." Bella said. "Yeah, Bella. You're on." Elizabeth said. Embry walked over and sat next to her. "You don't seem to be enjoying this much." He said. Elizabeth shook her head. "I was dragged here against my will."

                                                                                               ***

"If I told you I couldn't have fixed these bikes, what would you have said?" Jacob asked as Bella drove them to where her and Jacob were gonna test out the bikes

"If I told you I couldn't have fixed these bikes, what would you have said?" Jacob asked as Bella drove them to where her and Jacob were gonna test out the bikes. "Are you doubting your mad skills?" Bella questioned. "No. Definitely not. I mean, they'll run fine.  It's just, uh... Maybe if I was smart, I would have dragged out the rebuild a bit." Jacob said. Elizabeth sat awkwardly between them. "If you told me you couldn't fix these bikes, I would say that's really too bad, but that we're just gonna have to find something else to do."

"Is that Sam Uley?" Bella asked as they approached the cliff side. "Yeah. Him and his cult." They watched as they pushed one of the other boys off the cliff. "Oh my God." Bella said and brought the truck to a screeching stop. "Did you see that?" Bella asked, getting out of the truck. Elizabeth and Jacob got out after her. They ran to the other side of the road. Jacob laughed. "They're not really fighting, Bella. They're cliff diving. Scary as hell, but a total rush." Jacob explained. "A rush?" Bella questioned. "Most of us jump from lower down. We leave the showing off to Sam and his disciples." "You have some kind of beef with him or something?" Bella asked. 

"I don't know. They just think they run this place. Embry used to call them hall monitors on steroids.  Now, look at him." Jacob said. "That's Embry?" Elizabeth exclaimed. "He looks so different." She said. Embry turned, feeling eyes on him. They made eye contact and he froze for a minute. Elizabeth sent him a tight smile and waved. A goofy smile spread across Embry's face and he waved back before Sam pushed him off the cliff. "Sam keeps giving me this look. Like he's waiting for me or something. It's kind of starting to freak me out." Jacob said. Elizabeth missed the first part of that conversation. "Well, you should just avoid him." Bella said. "I try." Jacob responded. 

                                                                                              ***

"Hey, guys? I'm gonna take a walk." Elizabeth called out to Jacob and Bella as they got ready to test out the bikes. "Okay." Bella responded. "Don't wander too far. You don't know the area that well." Jacob said to her. Elizabeth nodded. "I'll be safe." She left it at that and walked away. She didn't make it very far before she saw Embry up ahead. "Elizabeth! Hey!" He said, running up to her. "Wow. Look at you." Elizabeth said. Embry chuckled. "Yeah. Mind if I walk with you?" He asked. Elizabeth shrugged. "Sure." They started walking.

They walked a bit further away when Embry grabbed onto Elizabeth's arm, stopping her. "Elizabeth, I have to tell you something." She gave him a confused look. "I'm a werewolf." He said. Elizabeth gave him a blank stare. "Okay?" "You're not freaked out?" Embry asked. Elizabeth chuckled and started walking again. "I run with vampires. I'm pretty well versed in the supernatural." She said. "And the thing is, I also imprinted on you." Embry said. "Imprinted?" Embry sighed before explaining it.

"Basically, gravity shifted, and now you're the thing that's holding me here. You're my entire world." Embry said. Elizabeth sighed, feeling bad. "Embry..." She trailed off. "I have no control over it, by the way." He said. "I have no control over it either. Embry, I'm already mated to someone." She told him. "Well, two people, actually." She clarified. "Oh. Well, it doesn't have to be like that. I could be a friend, a brother. I just can't live without you." "A friend. That works." Elizabeth said. "A friend. Yeah." Embry said, going to walk away. "Embry, I really am sorry." She said. "Me too."