Chap 1

Prologue

It was almost dawn and I was still laying in my bed. My hands were under my head as they acted as a pillow for me. The fan was creaking due to the damage to the motor, making it almost look as dead as my surroundings. It was quite hot today, but unlike those rich people, I dont own any air conditioner.

But somehow, none of them mattered to me. None of them seem a problem to me, especially when my mind was already messing around with the only problem in my life.

Her.

Davina Decker.

For years, I've done my work without any distractions and hesitations, no matter what extent I had to go for them. But for some odd reason, this one happened to be a little different than the other; actually, a lot different than the others!

That girl had been messing around with my brain for so long. There is something about her that I can't put my finger on. Something about her seems a little off. Even though she pretends that she's the happiest human on this earth, why do her eyes speak otherwise?

Why do I feel like there's something more to her; something that they still haven't told me about; something that Ill have to find out on my own.

.

.

.

Present day

.

Nicholas's POV

I was walking down the stairs when suddenly my phone rang. I pulled the device out of my pocket and checked the caller id.

'PRIVATE NUMBER'

That got me baffled. I rarely receive a call from him but when I do, it's always important. Without thinking much about him, I swiped it up to answer the call.

"Marcellus", I said as I introduced myself by mentioning my last name on the call, and sure enough, the other person on the line got it

"I have some work for you", Draco said, straight away.

"I know you do, otherwise you wouldn't call me in the middle of the night", I retorted.

"Very well then, Nicholas Marcellus! I need to see you tomorrow morning, sharp at 5", he said in an authoritative tone.

I chuckled when I heard him order me around, again. "I think you've forgotten I dont take orders. You may be the boss in your county, but here, I dont even give a damn about it!", I seethed into the phone.

"Nicholas! Mind your tongue!", he growled from the other side.

"So should you!", I hissed. Ultimately, I heard him sigh in defeat as it is him who wants me, not the other way round.