Chap 21

It takes a Damaged Soul to understand another one of its own...

.

.

.

Davina was sitting on the floor beside me while I narrated my whole life to her. The things that I had taken out from the cupboard were some pictures of my family, wrapped up in a cloth, and some of their belongings, which Davina was reluctant to touch, given my wild reaction earlier.

And to answer her question, it was my family who used to call me Nick. And after them, I gave this right to no one to call me by that name ever again..

"That day, life changed for a 15 year old boy forever..", I exclaimed. "I lost my parents and my sister was on the verge of giving up of life, and I was orphaned. Everything shattered. The only thing that I had with me was that house and the memories we made in it", I muttered while a treacherous tear flowed down my cheek. "Life became hard. Happiness ceased to exist for me.. I was on my own. At that breaking point, the only person I had in my life was my sister, Silvia

Davina squeezed my shoulders reassuringly and turned around to face me. "What happened to her? Where is she now?", she asked, concern lacing her tone.

I lifted my head up, only to see the wetness in her eyes. "She's still in a coma", I breathed out. "With the help of our neighbors, I shifted her to a better hospital. But the money was still a problem. So-", I stopped and wiped a tear away from my face. "So, I sold the house we had spent our best days in..", my voice breaking off at the end.

Davina leaned in and rested her head on my shoulder. I looked at her from the corner of my eye and then back at the things in my hands. It was her way of saying that she was with me, even without uttering a single word.

So I continued with my story

So I continued with my story. "The money was enough to keep her alive for a month but I knew it was not enough. Something had to be done. So I started looking for work. But no one offered me any job because I was still a minor", I said while she rubbed the arm she was holding onto. "There were a lot of sleepless nights that I had to spend on the streets. Warding off stray animals and humans was not an easy task. I used to go empty stomach for several days. Life was not easy", I squeezed my eyes shut, ruminating about some of the worst days of my life.

"Then how did you land up in this business?", she asked, her head still pressed onto my shoulders.

I sighed and continued.

"One day, a woman saw me looking for food from a trash can. She came up to me and asked me about my whereabouts. At first, I was a little hesitant as I thought she was one of those people who took advantage of the homeless. However, when I told her everything and she pitied me. Soon, I was being escorted to her car with her. She took me home, and gave me food and shelter. Her dad gave me work and soon I was working for him on a part-time basis. The rest of the time, I used to be with my sister in the hospital", I thought about that kind lady who helped me in the toughest days of my life. "Then, a few months later, she was married off and I never saw her again. Later, her dad also died in a car crash and that was the end of their family and my fortune. It was then that I realized that if I had to survive and keep my sister alive, I had to get into this business. It was the only way that gave me enough money to keep Silvia alive."