ꜰᴏʀᴛʏ - ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

𝗠averick jumped out of his chair; Jonah's head snapped up as he listened to the sound of the metal scraping against the carpeted floor of his office

𝗠averick jumped out of his chair; Jonah's head snapped up as he listened to the sound of the metal scraping against the carpeted floor of his office. Placing the file in his hand down on his desk with a slap, he joined him in a standing position; he watched the way his features lit up with joy as he bent over the small table he was working on and continued typing.

He rounded his desk and walked over to where he was perched; as he gazed over his shoulder, his eyes widened. After spending the last month and a half slaving over the device before the both of them, he couldn't help but let his grin take over the surface area of his face.

A green light flashed in the corner of the window, signaling the encryption's open doors. Maverick continued typing away, trying to decipher the last passcode on the screen. He entered in a five-digit code, each appearing a black circle over and over again; he thought that his smile may fade to a frown after producing so many failures one after the other, but it did not.

He understood why in the next passing seconds.

"Done!" he announced, stepping back.

"That's it?" Jonah pulled the chair and took a seat.

"Yup. In here you'll find twenty pages of information all pertaining to the case."

Using the white mouse off to the side, he scrolled and sure enough, everything was listed. He didn't want to read all of the information right now, as he wanted to view it when everyone was collected in a room, but he could still see important words like Clarke popping up.

Jonah climbed to his feet again and marched to his desk; slipping his jacket off the back of his chair and onto his arms, he returned and disconnected the flash drive, pocketing it. As much as he had other things to pertain to – being the chief and all – he couldn't let this slide without his watching eyes; curiosity bested him and for once, he wasn't ashamed of it.

"You need a ride?" he asked Maverick as he pulled open the door.

"Nah," he shook his head, leaving.

"Will I see you there?"

"No," he repeated, "Rueben will inform the secondary group after the fact."

"I see."

Maverick nodded and saluted with two fingers, saying nothing more before he spun and headed for the glass door entrance. Needing to make a similar exit, he rounded the corner and stopped at one desk on the way; Auden and Asher were deep in a conversation about the station coffee when they stopped and took in his serious look.

"Did he finally do it?" Asher questioned.

"Yes."

"A man is actually capable, surprisingly," Auden piped up, standing, "Even though it took him long enough."

"Let's go," he ignored the snide remark, "We have to meet up with Rueben."

His two detectives acknowledged his commands and shared a knowing look before walking from behind the desk and matching his speed. The three of them pushed out of the door and climbed into one cruiser; anxiety ate at his skin as he pushed the key into the ignition.