Precious

Bilbo Baggins sat on the balcony of the quarters he had been given in Rivendell, staring into the beauty that was Elrond's lands.

But, he was not happy as most hobbits were in such nature thanks to Yavanna's gifts.

Not happy because of all the time he had been parted from his ring, not happy because of the burden he had -at the time- unknowingly placed on Frodo, unhappy because he showed mercy through pity on Gollum which had led to Sauron returning.

It had been two days since Gandalf had given him news of Frodo's failure to destroy the Ring several weeks previously, and how it had led to his death. And Sam's, and Merry's, and Pippin's and the rest of the Fellowship's.

And now Sauron was slowly taking over Middle Earth, last Bilbo had heard he had already taken the lands closest to Mordor like Gondor and Rohan.

Bilbo could hear screaming, he knew the Orcs were here, but he made no move to fight, to even move.

What would be the point? All he loved was gone and he was just a sad old man.

Even as the elvish city was destroyed around him, his quarters were untouched, uninterrupted.

Until the door opened and a lone figure entered.

The figure was as tall as an elf if not taller, with ears pointed in a slightly different way. He had long hair that fluctuated between platinum blond and silver in the light, skin as fair as cream -or was it an ashen pale grey- and utterly unblemished. He wore a suit of spiked armor that was such a dark gray it looked black. On his hand, on a half-missing ring finger, was that damned ring Bilbo hated yet adored and still craved.

The hobbit looked at the Dark Lord and then at the sword the maia held, just closing his tired green eyes to accept his death.

But, much to Bilbo's surprise, he was not struck down where he sat, but rather Sauron's much larger hands cupped his face as the maia knelt in front of him.

"Oh, my love, our time apart has not treated you kindly." Sauron commented, stroking Bilbo's wrinkled cheeks with his thumb

"I am not your 'love'." Bilbo said, knowing it was the only defiance he was capable of anymore when his body failed him so

"We have been together since you found me in the Misty Mountains, precious." The older male said, "And you have loved me these past sixty years, as I have loved and protected you. I shielded you when you snuck through the Elvenking's Halls, been by your side when you faced Fire Drake Smaug, when you mourned your dwarven king and his princes, whispered details you had forgotten to you as you wrote your book,  raised Frodo with you-"

"If you truly loved me then why did you kill him?" The hobbit interrupted, raising a weak hand to point his finger accusing at the other male

Sauron took the extended hand and pressed a kiss to Bilbo's knuckles, holding his age-spot-covered hand in his ring-clad one, "Our sweet Frodo is alive, I merely wanted Olórin to think him gone. He is safe in Barad-dûr, asleep until I can reunite you."

The old writer just stared at the Dark Lord, trying to process all he had been told, eventually just whispering, "Why?"

"Why what, my dearest?" The maia asked, standing up, "Do you have the strength to stand?"

"Why love me?" Bilbo asked, his joints aching as he tried and failed to stand

"Because you are perfect." Sauron answered, "All other Ringbearers before you fell to greed, wanted to use my power for their own benefit. But you only used the One Ring to protect yourself, to play pranks. That alone impressed me, but what made me fall in love with you was watching your adventures while reclaiming Erebor; your selflessness in wanting to help them in their quest, by declaring your trust in the honesty of the King Under the Mountain, in facing the fire drake alone, in stealing the Arkenstone for the Oakenshield and not in spite of him. How could one not adore you?"

With that, the taller man picked up the other bridal style and led him to where his Fellbeast waited, the Nazgûl awaited on their own beasts.

The Lord of the Ring got onto his beast, holding his hobbit against himself as he began to fly back to Mordor with the Nine, leaving his army to continue their warpath.

***

There was not much Bilbo could do currently, not when he had gotten to the point where he was too weak to stand.

So he just let Sauron carry him into the looming tower, beginning to carry him up what seemed to be a hundred flights of stairs in the near darkness of the spiraling tower.

"Samwise also lives," The Dark Lord said, breaking the silence that had come over them since they had left Rivendell, "He is with Frodo. Meriadoc and Peregrin were supposed to live as well, but Saruman's army killed them before my forces arrived, rest assured that I dealt with the White Wizard personally."

As they reached the upper half, Sauron took them down a hallway and opened the lone door that seemed to be made of black stone, revealing a second door. But this door was utterly different, this one circular and painted green with a brass doorknob.

"I had your smial recreated in perfect detail," The maia said, stepping into the copy of Bag End, "to ease your transition to living with me. Everything should be exactly as you left it, Frodo is asleep in his bedroom, Samwise in one of the guestrooms, I will wake them when we are ready."

"When will that be?" Bilbo asked

Sauron did not answer, entering the master bedroom and placing the hobbit onto the bed, "While I was without form, I was able to access enough of my power to extend your life, but not enough to prevent you from aging. Now that I have a physical body again, I can amend that and restore you to your youth."

The world around Bilbo grew fuzzy as he felt his wrinkled skin tighten and smoothen, his balding head regrow to the bushy curls he once had, and the ache in his body disappeared.

Bilbo felt overwhelmed by the time reversing on his body and promptly passed out.