Blood and Love

Trigger Warning: Semi-Graphic Abuse, Melkor inflicting it on Mairon, go to the first scene break to avoid.

The dreamscape of Bilbo Baggins was a beautiful field of flowers, it always had been as long as he could remember, so when the field faded away into a hallway of black stones he assumed that his dreams had taken him to Barad-dûr, but it was too cold to be in the volcanic kingdom.

Before he could wonder where he was, he heard shouting and the sounds of flesh hitting flesh as well as crying.

Opening the door to the room he believed the sounds were coming from, Bilbo first saw a male who dwarfed Sauron in height, with long hair as dark as the night sky and eyes that were even darker, he wore armor similar to the one Sauron typically wore, but this too was black compared to the grey the maia had.

There was an iron crown on his head, holding two gleaming stones that shone in a way Bilbo could not even begin to put to words with room for a third.

But Bilbo did not have time to think about those gems, not when Sauron was curled up on the floor, bleeding and crying out in pain.

He did not recognize the maia at first, not used to seeing him with fiery red curly hair instead of the straight silvery blond he knew, but that could also be blood seeping from his head.

"You are the Lieutenant of Angband!" The crowned man yelled, sharply kicking Sauron's side, "You failed to defeat a man and a she-elf! You let them steal from me!"

"I will get the Silmaril back, master, please forgive me!" Mairon begged, trying to stand on broken bones

The hobbit's breath hitched as Melkor reached down, but breathed a sigh of relief as the vala cupped the maia's chin and said maia closed his golden eyes as he thought his plea had been granted, "I do this because I love you, Mairon, I know you can be better than this."

That relief Bilbo had felt was killed when the Great Foe pressed Mairon's face into the fire.

Bilbo pressed a hand to his mouth, trying to stop the vomit from escaping his mouth as he smelled the cooking flesh and the sounds of Sauron's screams filled his ears.

He then rushed towards the vala, trying to push him away from Sauron, "Stop it! Leave him alone!"

But there was nothing he could do, running right through Morgoth like a ghost, since there was nothing he could do to change the past.

Before he could try again, the scene around him paused and a second Sauron appeared, but this time in the form Bilbo recognized.

"How did you get into my memories, precious?" The Dark Lord asked

The hobbit shrugged, "I was asleep and then I was here."

Mairon nodded, casting a glance toward the paused memory around them before looking back to Bilbo, "You would have defended me?"

"Yes." Bilbo confirmed, "No one deserves to be treated in such a way."

"Against Melkor? Who could destroy you in a second using less than one percent of his power?" Sauron elaborated, not believing what he heard

The shorter male nodded, "I would have to make that second count then, no one deserves to be treated so horribly."

Sauron looked at him in a way that reminded Bilbo of how Thorin looked at him after showing him the acorn from Beorn's Garden before saying, "You should go back to your dreams, my love, it is time for me to wake anyways."

"It is morning already?" Bilbo asked

"No, far from it, maia need only rest an hour every few months." Mairon explained, kissing his head, "I shall see you in the morn."

With that, Bilbo found himself returned to his field of flowers, staring at where the Dark Lord had previously stood.

***

After checking on Frodo and Sam as he did every morning, Bilbo went to the breakfast table where Sauron was already waiting.

"How are you feeling?" The Dark Lord asked as Bilbo sat down

The hobbit stared at him in confusion, "I think that question is better suited to you, that was your experience, not mine."

"I am fine, I have not thought of it for centuries until last night. That experience only slightly stands out to the others."

Bilbo's mouth went dry, glad he had sat down, "Others?"

"That was far from the first and far from the last punishment Melkor inflicted upon me." Sauron answered, "Let us not talk of that anymore, let's talk of more pleasant things like your garden."

"It is a beautiful and kind gift." Bilbo said, looking at his hands momentarily, "Is your hair naturally red?"

"No, I am a true blond." Sauron answered, "Melkor liked red hair, it was less elven and he loathed them above all of the Children of Ilúvatar, so I made myself ginger to please him; I made it curled because I thought it suited the color better."

The hobbit peeled an orange, his hands mindlessly working on the task while he looked at the other male, "Was that your only prior relationship?"

"In a way, but there was one other technically speaking." Mairon said, "What I felt...feel...felt for Melkor is but a puddle compared to the ocean I feel for you, much less than the glass I felt for Celebrimbor."

Bilbo looked at him, waiting for him to continue the conversation, but the Dark Lord shook his head, "I cannot go into more detail, love, not yet."

That was understandable, so Bilbo dropped the issue for now and ate his breakfast.

"I have never been in a relationship." The hobbit said, trying to lift the soured mood in the room, "I loved Thorin, but I did not act on my feelings until it was too late. I fooled around as an older faunt, but no lasting romances. Not for a lack of trying to get me married though, you probably saw how my cousins were desperately trying to marry me off."

That earned a slight chuckle from Sauron, "Yes, especially those widows. They had a vengeance trying to marry you to Cedric Featherbottom, though I suspect it was so you would have to join another clan and make Bag End up for grabs."