Sacrifices Must Be Made

Four months later, they were in the manor in Byavheukea.

Bilbo returned to the master chambers after tucking in Frodo and Sam, barely having changed into his nightgown and had just stepped onto the balcony.

Leaning his weight onto the railing, he looked onto the small city but mostly above to where the night sky shone even brighter than he remembered.

A rocking chair or two out here was all it needed, somewhere to smoke and talk and enjoy the beauty of a home on the sea blanketed by stars.

Out of all Sauron's mansions around Mordor, and of course the Tower in Barad-dûr, this one was still his favorite; and he could still imagine the faunts living here full time when they grew up -again- so they could have some independence.

"There you are, my love." A voice he knew to be his husband's said from behind him, familiar arms wrapping around his waist

"It is very beautiful here at night, I have missed seeing the stars." Bilbo said, looking up at the sky

Sauron kissed his shoulder, "It is also getting colder as winter approaches. You should be wearing more than your dressing gown before you catch ill."

Bilbo leaned against him, "You are warm."

"I can think of a few other ways to warm up~" The maia seductively suggested

The hobbit playfully swatted his arm but followed him back into the room all the same.

The joys of being relatively newlywedded and all that.

***

Gandalf the White, flanked by Radagast the Brown, Morinehtar and Rómestámo the Blue made their way through Mordor, staying relatively hidden as they followed the path worn by Frodo and Sam several years prior.

But even the sneakiest of shadows were noticed by the Great Eye as nothing was unknown to him in his domain, it shining down upon them like a beacon as they approached Barad-dûr in their last desperate attempt to save Middle Earth.

Sauron rolled over in the bed he laid on, removing his blindfold as he sat up, beginning to shake his husband's shoulder slightly, "My love, wake up, it is urgent."

"Mai?" Bilbo yawned, "What is going on?"

"I have to go to battle now." He slowly began, knowing his beloved's mind was sleep addled, "I likely will not return."

That caused the hobbit to shoot up straight, sitting up in their bed, the silk sheets pooled at their hips, "What?!"

"The Istari are approaching the Tower, they are looking for me. I shall go battle them but even I cannot fight four maiar alone." The Dark Lord explained, getting out of bed and putting on his discarded robes back on

Bilbo stared in shock, "You have the mightiest army in Middle-Earth at your disposal! You do not need to fight them alone!"

"The Orcs would be cannon-fodder in such a fight, a waste of resources. I would rather have them here guarding you and my kingdom." Mairon denied, "I will fight them and try to be victorious, but...I was not going to escape Manwë's judgment forever, precious.

Pulling the One Ring off his half-missing finger, the Dark Lord placed it in his consort's hand, "Wear this for me, love, it still retains a drop of my power. The Nine will obey you as long as you wear it, they will keep you safe. Recall my Mouth from Isengard to help you with governance, he has managed Mordor in my absence before."

Tears gleamed in Bilbo's green eyes, his words failing him, "No-"

Sauron knelt before him and cupped his face just as he had when they first met in person, "I will come to find you when the Dagor Dagorath starts at the end of the next age. Our fëa is bound stronger than death, and I hope stronger than the Door of Night, with any luck I will be able to visit your dreams."

They then brought their lips together, kissing for what might be the last time in several thousand years.

"Your kiss will sustain me in the Void." Mairon concluded, pulling away from his consort as a navette made of flame appeared on the wall behind him

He walked towards it, his armour appearing in glimmers of red and gold, his silhouette resembling the slitted pupil of the Eye.

With that, he was gone and Bilbo's heart felt as if it had been ripped in half.

For the rest of the night, he did not sleep, staring at the wall hoping the flames would reappear and Mairon would return.

But he did not.

In this moment, Bilbo felt so useless, he should have argued more and followed after him; maybe Gandalf would have listened to him if he could plead his case -who was he kidding, his old friend would think him bewitched.

***

A month later, Bilbo Baggins sat on his husband's throne, feeling out of place with the golden ring glimmering on his finger and the spiked obsidian crown weighing heavily on his head.

Six months of marriage was all they had before being separated until the end of the world.

So much for the rain on their wedding day.

He was taken out of his thoughts by the sounds of screaming, so the hobbit turned to the Mouth of Sauron standing at the bottom of the dais and ordered him to find out what was going on.

The man left and promptly returned a few minutes later, "The Great Eye has faded away, Lord Consort Bilbo."

Bilbo bit his bottom lip, that meant one of two things: either Mairon was so far away his power could no longer reach it, or he had just been locked in the Void...with Melkor.

While he was devastated as the reality of Mairon was not coming back anytime soon crashed upon him, he did not let it slow him down, he was entrusted to rule until he was back.

Despite the various origins of those in Barad-dûr, the Eye was a constant and created a sense of security for the citizens, security in the eternal rule of the Lord of Mordor; which is why they now panicked with it gone.

"Your highness," The Mouth of Sauron began, "if I can be as bold as to make a suggestion. I advise a demonstration to show the people our Lord is still present in spirit."

Bilbo nodded, looking at his palm where the Ring sat, "Make the preparations."