Silver and Gold

Sauron looked much different in this memory than Bilbo had ever seen him before: his hair was wavy and black, his golden eyes were the color of amethysts, he was shorter than usual but still far taller than the hobbit, and he wore a white backless stola along with a golden lace veil over his hair and face.

In fact, Bilbo would not have recognized him at all if it had not been for his aura, his presence was the same.

"Welcome to Eregion. Who are you?" The elf sitting on a throne asked, a silver circlet gleaming on his braided black hair

"I am Annatar, a maia of Aulё and currently emissary for the Valar." Mairon greeted, walking towards the throne, "I have been sent by my master to share our arts with you, Lord Celebrimbor."

The maia then knelt before the throne, a hammer of mithril in his palms, continuing, "As well as bestow gifts."

Celebrimbor leaned forward, his blue eyes reflecting the hammer's light, "It is so fine a gift."

The scene faded away and now he was in a bedroom where 'Annatar' was sitting at a vanity running a comb through his hair, staring into his reflection.

The mirror, though, did not reflect how he looked, it showed Sauron as he typically appeared.

"I could be Annatar forever." Mairon said, though his lips did not move, so Bilbo knew he was being allowed to know his thoughts, "I could be happy here, I could learn to love Celebrimbor, I could be satisfied being Consort of Eregion."

The maia looked at his hands, "Rumor has it that he is already making a wedding band for me, I can get him to propose today if I tried. Annatar does not have Mairon's problems; he does not have a vow to Melkor to destroy the world, he spends his days in the company of brilliant elves making beautiful things and being adored by the lord of this realm."

The scene faded away again and this time Sauron as Annatar sat in a lavish garden at night, Celebrimbor sitting beside him on a bench and they sat in opposite directions so they could face each other.

"Tyelpë, I have a confession to make to you as well as a question. And the way you react will determine the fate of everything to come next." The maia began

The elf stopped him, cupping his chin with his hand, "I have a confession and question too, forgive me for interrupting but I cannot wait any longer. Ever since the day you arrived in Ost-in-Edhil three hundred years ago, I have found myself falling more and more in love with you every day."

Celebrimbor pulled a small box from his robe pocket, revealing a ring that resembled his own circlet, "Marry me, please, you are my heart."

Sauron took the box and the ring within, cupping it in his palms, "Oh, Tyelpë, you bring me peace, but you truly must know what I must say. Please, please think of your reactions before you do them."

"Nothing you can say will stop me from loving you, Annatar." The elf lord smiled, placing his hand on 'Annatar's' hip

"My name is not Annatar and the Valar did not send me here." The maia confessed, "I am Sauron."

The other male's eyes widened, his hand dropped from its place, and he recoiled as if he had been slapped, "You lied to me."

"Tyelpë, please, everything else was real; I was only dishonest about my name, I am still your Annatar." Mairon pleaded, his purple eyes going gold, "Please, just tell me where the Three are and we can continue as we always have been, we can even get married still."

Celebrimbor shook his head in both disbelief and denial, "Never. You are the evil that is in this world. You used me!"

Sauron twitched, his form dissolving back into the one Bilbo recognized best, "Tyelpë, please reconsider."

"Gil-Galad and Galadriel were right!" The elven smith said, standing up, "I should never have trusted you!"

Mairon stood up as well, his eyes glowing orange as the mithril hammer he had once gifted the other appeared in his hand.

The memory stopped when the hammer was about to make contact with the elf's head and time skipped to a few minutes later, where Sauron had fallen to the ground and was sobbing into his bloody palms.

It then faded away entirely, leaving the hobbit in the typical field of flowers of his dreamscape, where Sauron was waiting.

"I convinced myself I loved him in the end, it took meeting you to realize that I never did and that I actually only loved how he made me feel." The maia said, "I killed him, used his arrow-ridden corpse as a banner to scare my enemies, and then buried him here in Mordor."

"Would you have killed me if I had rejected you?" Bilbo asked, more curious than scared

The Dark Lord closed his eyes momentarily, "That is the difference I think, how I know that I truly love you. The idea of causing you physical harm makes me ill. I do not know for certain what I would have done when faced with your continued rejection, but I do know it would not have resulted in your death."

***

Morgoth, Celebrimbor and Bilbo Baggins could all claim very little in common besides the fact they all knew a form of Sauron intimately and that they were males.

All of them were of different species, all creative, but the hobbit truly was the odd one out in this unlikely trio.

Melkor and Telperinquar were both leaders, both skilled at their respective crafts, and had long black hair and several other physical similarities to the point some could accuse Mairon of having a 'type'.

Bilbo was nothing like Celebrimbor and could not be more opposite of Morgoth if he tried.

He was kind, he cared about people and had empathy for everyone regardless of whether or not they deserved it.

***

"Where did you bury Celebrimbor?" Bilbo asked a few hours later as they walked to the throne room

"There." The Dark Lord said, pointing to the mountain closest to Barad-dûr in the opposite direction of Orodruin, "There is a small cave in the base of the mountain, his tomb lies within housing his Hröa and his Fëa recovers in Valinor rebodied."

Bilbo looked at the mountain in question, but it was too far away to even attempt to see where the cave was, so he just nodded, not knowing what else to say.

As such, in proper hobbit fashion when conversations became difficult, he changed the subject, "You once told me that there were five other Maiar still in Middle Earth, who are they?"

"Aiwendil of Yavanna, but you know him as Radagast the Brown; Alatar and Pallando of Oromë, Morinehtar and Rómestámo the Blue; Curumo of Aulë, who was Saruman the White; and Olórin of Manwë, your friend Gandalf the Grey." Sauron answered

That surprised Bilbo immensely, Gandalf was a Maia all along!

Mairon let him process the news, "Though, if you want to be purely factual my count was slightly off. With the remaining Balrogs returned to me, the number is now thirteen including the Wizards and myself."

"The balrogs?!" The hobbit exclaimed

"Melkor's Maiar, they were the first he experimented on." He explained, "I could not tell you their names, though, they no longer remember who they were in the beginning."