Testing the Waters

The Sea of Núrnen could rather easily be called the most beautiful place in Mordor, though it was not like it had any major competition.

It was the only place in Mordor with access to sunlight, where grass grew as far as the eye could see.

Or it would have, if every inch of land suitable for farming was not being used for such, leaving the lands surrounding it to be the small city of Byavheukea that handled all the agriculture in Mordor.

"Does it please you to be back in sunlight?" Sauron asked as they walked into the village, looking towards the hobbit

Bilbo nodded, "Very much so, thank you for bringing me along."

Mairon placed his hand on the small of Bilbo's back, "I have a residence in all of Mordor's major cities, including this one, we could visit frequently if you would like to."

"I would like that." The hobbit replied, offering the maia a small smile

Like in Barad-dûr, there was a market in Byavheukea selling similar things, but it was on a much smaller scale and it was mostly fish -seeing that all vegetation was collected by the government and distributed.

Though, unlike the capital city, where the population was mostly humans, the village was primarily made up of half-orcs with humans being the minority.

The residence the Dark Lord had mentioned, was less than Bilbo had been expecting while still being more than what he was used to.

Nothing could ever truly compare to Sauron's Tower, the seat of his power in his greatest city, but this home was comparable to the mansions of Men Lords.

While it was far grander than anything found in the humble Shire, Bilbo could already imagine some flowerbeds by the door, some nice marigolds that could take Mordor's heat -and the ash carried on the wind from Mount Doom would be excellent for the soil-, and maybe a nice garden anywhere he could squeeze one in.

He would have to talk to Mairon about that when they got closer to the end of their year's agreement, perhaps this could be Frodo and Sam's permanent residence since the boys likely would not want to be anywhere near the Dark Lord after all they had endured.

"I plan on terraforming Mordor over the next few centuries, starting here in Nurn." Sauron said, "With any luck, the areas outside of Orodruin's range will gain greenery and return to how it was before the volcano erupted for the first time."

"But what of the lack of sunlight?" Bilbo asked

"I will simply have the storm dissipate so it merely covers the Ephel Dúath and wherever I want the orcs to be -likely Udûn but I am not yet decided." The maia answered, as if it was no big deal that he was actively controlling his kingdom's weather

The hobbit let out an "Oh." in response and continued to follow the other male up the stairs to where the bedrooms were, being told to choose any room he would like.

***

With Sauron occupied, Bilbo finally had some time to himself, so he ventured around the mansion.

When he found a library, he swiped a hand on the spines, looking for anything interesting to read but almost everything was either on various metals, historical records, or other educational materials, nothing to read for fun.

Eventually plucking a book on the History of Númenor, he settled down on a chair and began to read, before finding himself no longer in the library or even in Mordor.

He was in a long hallway of stone, with large pillars expertly chiseled littering the area.

At first, he thought himself alone, but he was proven wrong when he saw Sauron walking in his direction.

But the Dark Lord looked different than Bilbo had seen him before: his long silver hair was tied back in a loose braid, his cheeks were dusted with freckles, and he wore simple maroon robes instead of his usual black, grey, or white ones that had elaborate gold detailing.

What truly shocked the hobbit were his eyes, they still had their intense golden color, but he seemed so innocent and happy that Bilbo could not be certain that the person he saw was truly the Dark Lord.

Bilbo tried to get the maia's attention, but he was ignored as Mairon walked right past him without sparing him a glance as he began to approach where the hallway curved.

Sauron stopped dead in his tracks as he heard talking.

"Mairon's a beyond excellent smith, Yavanna, but he is just so strange." A masculine voice said, though Bilbo's limited knowledge of the Valar made him guess the person was Aulё, "All of my other maiar have beseeched me to not make them work with him, that he is too intense. I do not blame them, though, he takes everything far too seriously, it is very hard to be around him without feeling like a slight misstep will cause him to explode."

The maia in question covered his mouth with his fist, pressing his back to the wall hiding him as tears sprang to his eyes.

Aulё continued, "If I could just take his talent and give it to one of the others, everyone would be less stressed."

A choked cry escaped Mairon's lips and he ran back out the way he came, not seeing the two Valar that had talked about him had come to see the source of the noise and looked horrified to see him.

Bilbo followed the crying maia to a garden, where he sat beside a rosebush and let his tears free.

"Why do you weep?" A voice asked above him

Both Mairon and Bilbo looked up, seeing Melkor -though clad in grey robes tied with a black sash instead of black armor, the former sniffling, "Please leave me alone."

His request was not heeded as the vala sat beside him on the ground, "You are Mairon, right? One of Aulё's apprentices?"

The maia nodded but otherwise did not look at his unwelcome company.

"You never answered my original question." Melkor pointed out, "What has you so upset?"

"M-My master was talking about me to his wife." Mairon stuttered, "He said no one can stand me, that I'm too strange for them, that he wishes he did not have to suffer the burden of my presence. I just want to create, it is not my fault that I am not as friendly as the others!"

Morgoth was silent for a few moments before replying, "It sounds to me, that you are surrounded by jealous people. They could find no flaw in your work so they criticize your dedication and few smiles. I would wager that Aulё is worried that people might begin to think that the apprentice is outshining the master and wishes to bring you down."

The maia finally looked at the vala, "You truly think so?"

"Yes, I have seen some of your work, people are talking about you most favorably. You truly live up to your name, Admired One."

It looked like Mairon was going to say something else, but the scene paused there as Sauron appeared to Bilbo, "How did you find your way into my memories again, my love?"

"I don't know." Bilbo replied, "I was just reading and I was here."

Sauron frowned briefly, "I see, I shall look into this. It is most strange that this has happened twice now. Wake up, I will join you shortly."