Fixing Mistakes

Galadriel, the former Lady of Lórien, watched as the last of her people boarded boats in the Grey Havens to retreat to Valinor.

With the One Ring returned to the Dark Lord, half of the continent had already fallen under his control and it was only a matter of time until the rest fell as well.

The elves, once so mighty in ages past, were already faading from being away from their home for so long, there was nothing they could further do for Middle Earth.

It was up to the Men now to defend the coming of their own Age.

"Meleth Nîn," A familiar voice addressed from behind her, she turned, seeing her husband, "it is time for us to board."

"So it is." The Lady of Light agreed, taking his hand

They walked together the short distance to the boat, Galadriel's eyes on what she was leaving behind.

"Do not despair." Celeborn whispered to her, "You have dedicated your life to this Middle Earth, of all elves you have the most earned your rest. Our Celebrian awaits us in Aman with her lord husband and our grandchildren."

As they stepped onto the boat, Galadriel paused as she felt a wave of energy pass through her ring, Nenya.

Sauron had married.

What sort of vile creature would call the Lord of Mordor husband?

***

Bilbo Baggins wanted to disappear into the divan he sat on, but he couldn't so he settled for pulling his shirt collar as high as it goes and desperately trying to hide his neck.

Despite putting on his highest collar and a scarf, he still felt utterly exposed because everyone in Mordor knew what he had done last night and those he had seen today saw the evidence of it on his neck.

Naturally, his husband was no help at all and found his embarrassment funny.

So, Bilbo joked about becoming a widow before even being married a full day if his lord husband did not behave.

He gave a giggle at Mairon's response, his face could only be described as one a kicked puppy would have or one of a faunt being denied sweets.

***

Sauron decided to show his consort mercy a few hours later a took him to the Fellbeast stables.

"Where are we going?" Bilbo asked

"Not far, to Orodruin." The Dark Lord answered, "I hate to interupt our honeymoon with dire matters, but if we do not do this now I fear I may lose my nerve and there is no one else I can trust to assist me."

The hobbit found the answer vague, inquiring "For what?"

"Despite being the one that created the Ring, I am not immune to it." Sauron admitted, his voice a mere whisper, "I made it to contain my rage and hatred, to separate it from myself, but all it has done is amplify it. So, I am taking back the majority of the power I gave it, which will also prevent me from being disembodied if it is separated from me again."

"I see, but why do you need my help?" Bilbo asked

"Now that we are married, our souls are tied together. The Ring contains a piece of my soul so it is less likely to lash out at you than me if you begin the process for me." Mairon explained

***

Mount Doom was incredibly hot, but that was obvious enough as it was a volcano but he could still feel its sting through his calloused feet, and the ash was so thick in the air that Bilbo still felt it in his lungs even with his scarf and linen cloth around his mouth and nose.

There was an anvil of stone on the edge above the lava, but otherwise the cliff was empty.

As the pair approached it, Sauron pulled the Ring off his half-missing finger and placed it in Bilbo's awaiting palm.

"Put it on the anvil and then step away from the lava, I shall do the rest." Sauron shuddered, struggling to maintain his physical form

Bilbo took a few steps forward, but as he was about to place it down he paused as the Ring began to whisper to him.

"Am I not precious to you, my love?" The Ring sang in his mind, "You would diminish me?"

The hobbit tried to resist its allure, trying to drop it onto the anvil.

So, the Ring tried another tactic, "Return me to the creator's hand, beloved, can you not see him in pain? Do you not love us?"

Bilbo glanced over to his husband, seeing he was sticking his nails into his arms, trying to hold himself together.

"Ease his burden, precious, his Hröa is too weak to contain his Fëa without me." The Ring whispered

The Ring's words had an opposite effect than what was intended, giving Bilbo the push he needed to drop the ring onto the black stone.

Sauron passed him, groaning and putting his arm on the anvil for support as he began singing Valarin.

The writer was so enchanted by the singing that he was taken by surprise when the Ring caused a small explosion as most of its power flooded back into its creator.

He fell backward, off the platform and towards the lava below, screaming, "Mairon!"

Bilbo's green eyes closed as he braced himself for the incoming lava, but it never came.

Instead, he was caught by a pair of arms he instinctively knew was Sauron's.

"Are you alright?" The maia asked as Bilbo opened his eyes

"Yes." He answered, looking down to see that Sauron was just walking on the lava as if it were solid ground

As they left the volcano, Bilbo clung to his husband, still shaken from his near-death experience.

"I have got you, love." Mairon whispered into his ear as he carried him back to the Fellbeast waiting outside the volcano

As they flew back to the tower, Sauron could still feel his hobbit's heart beating so fast it threatened to burst from his chest.

"I should invest in railings for that pathway." The Dark Lord said, trying to distract him, "Gollum fell to his death there, nearly taking the ring with him. Frodo fell from the path but held onto the edge and Samwise pulled him back up where they were captured by the Nine."

That did not work on taking Bilbo's mind off the event, so he tried another idea.

Reaching out with his magic, the maia temporarily took over the hobbit's vision to display a memory of his, showing him Melkor tripping on his cape down the stairs of Utumno, falling down several stories and smacking the ice of the first floor face-first.

He replayed the memory several times, feeling the hobbit's heart rate decrease with each smack of the Great Foe's face.