7. "Loser."

They are now officially in their senior year.

This takes place exactly one year after the events of the previous chapter.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Gillian's POV

Do you ever notice how the so called 'loner' in high school movies are usually pretty girls with glasses?

I do not wear glasses, but I am considered a loner.

The second after Courtney and my ex-boyfriend walked off, Cassie following, I made the decision that I was done with the both of them.

I was done with Courtney's insatiable need to constantly be the victim in every situation that she enters.

I was done with Cassie's need to follow after Courtney and not develop an identity outside of her.

I was done with it all.

To make matters worse, Courtney and my ex decided to come out to the entire school that they were dating which only caused their popularity to grow.

Of course it hurt, I have known the three of them for what felt like my entire life, but I was not going to stand by and let them play me as if I were a chess piece right in front of my face.

As more people have noticed my distance from Courtney and her pawns, they have understandably had questions. They asked me if I 'betrayed' her, if she kicked me out of her clique, someone even asked if there was an opening in her group.

I did not even notice how many people automatically associated me with Courtney and my ex-boyfriend until their questions.

As far as onlookers know, I was one of Courtney's pawns who have been banished from hanging out with her due to 'me going after the guy that she was interested in'.

Where do people come up with this information?!

We are now in the first semester of our senior year and Courtney is still dating him, much to my surprise. This is her longest relationship by far, without a doubt.

Honestly, I did not think that the two of them were compatible in anyway. I mean, Courtney's obsessed with mystery, fashion, and...well...herself. My ex, however, he's obsessed with popularity, being a 'ladies man', and basketball.

Actually, they're more alike than I thought they were.

I don't know, maybe I am trying to find an excuse as to why Courtney would even think about going after the first guy that I ever dated.

She has never showed any interest in him when we were dating, but not even four hours after we break up she's suddenly all over him?

To my knowledge, he isn't even her type either.

My ex has blonde hair and blue eyes, but as far as I know, she has been into guys with reddish-brown or auburn hair and brown eyes.

I only figured this out after the situation happened, when I kept replaying it over and over in my head. It's kind of hard to forget about your ex-best friend and ex-boyfriend getting together when they make it apart of their daily routine to flaunt it in everyone's faces.

I close the door to my locker, turning in the direction of the front doors when I hear an audible commotion.

Speaking of flaunting their relationship in everyone's faces...

The couple on everyone's mind enter through the double doors, my ex's arm bent as Courtney hangs off of it, each of them with a large smile of his face.