Chapter 6 | errands.

"Man you guys are getting good real fast!"

Looking over the shoulders of those who'd decided to join you drawing, you were impressed. It's only been a few weeks and they were all improving very fast. Maybe you were actually a good teacher?

"You make learning the techniques very fun, you're a good teacher (y/n)" Sacajawea smiled.

"Aw, thanks. I'm glad this is entertaining for you" you replied.

Tonight you'd taught drapery. It was a technique to help learn folds and shadows. You'd drape a fabric over something and shine a light on it, then draw it from sight.

"Damnit- this isn't good..."

You turned your attention to Larry, who was muttering to himself under the front desk. Leaning over it, you looked down at him to find a chord that connected to the computer had wires sticking out of it.

"Uh oh" you said.

"One of the animals chewed it up. I'm gonna be dead meat tomorrow when the day staff find this" he sighed.

"Are there spares in storage?"

"This WAS the spare"

Oh dear, seems he was in a bit of trouble there. That was the catch with being the night guard of a museum that comes to life, things break and get tossed around by exhibits and you're the only one to blame when they all froze in the morning again.

"What kind is it?" You asked.

"HDMI chord, for connecting to the projector" Larry replied.

"They're not super hard to find. I'm sure there's a place that sells them, it is late night shopping tonight"

He looked at his watch, there was still some time before the shops closed as the night was still young. But there was one problem, he couldn't exactly leave the museum.

"Hmm... tell you what. Since I can't leave my job, and quite frankly I don't want to turn my back on these living exhibits in case MORE chaos ensues... how about I transfer you like $20 and you run out for me?" Larry suggested.

"Sure, I can grab snacks while I'm out" you replied, taking your phone out to exchange bank details.

The conversations about running errands caught Ahkmenrahs attention away from his drawing in the sketchbook you'd given him. Only a week or so ago you gave to to him and he was already filling the pages quickly.

"I think there's an office supply place a block away, it won't be that long" you said.

"Yeah I know the one you're talking about. I'm pretty sure they open late on regular days as well, so it should be open" Larry replied, transferring you $20 for the chord.

"HDMI? No other chords chewed?"

"No just HDMI, thanks (y/n)"

"Ah, no worries"

You picked up your bag and put your phone in your pocket, ready to run out real quick to grab this chord so Larry didn't get chewed out by the day staff. He was allowing you in here last dark, it was the least you could do.

"Oh, wait-"

You stopped in your tracks, turning to face the voice.

"Could I come? I've never seen the inside of a modern store before... well there is the gift shop but that's part of the museum so it doesn't really count does it?" Ahkmenrah asked.

You definitely didn't mind, as long as the tablets power kept him alive even after he left the grounds of the museum it would be fine. You both looked over at Larry.