Chapter 40 | happy

A/n: this was a fun one to write. Definitely wanna do more NATM stuff at some point. More Ahk and jedtavius of course. Thanks for reading!

It seemed that at the end of every special event the museum had, there was a dance party. You wondered what the people outside the museum thought when they walked by and saw lights and heard music inside. A museum isn't the typical place to throw a rager after all.

Here you were, new job in a cool place, working with people you loved and doing something you adored. Instead of dancing with the others, you decided you wanted to make some art for your new office. So you set your a canvas and easel on the top floor overlooking the main one, painting the scene below you with all the historical figures under the coloured lights. It was always fun to watch the exhibits enjoy themselves, even though they'd gotten used to modern life there were still things they didn't know. Watching them learn about how the world worked today was always entertaining.

You were exited to be working with them, and able to see them almost every night as you planned to stay behind when your shift ended for a while.

And of course, you were happy that Ahkmenrah got to be with his friends that were more like family so often. Now he was alive during the day as well, and living with you he was able to roam around the modern world and see its wonders. But the museum was always going to be special to him, his home. With this job you'd be able to bring him here almost every day.

Your painting slowly coming together, you swapped the brush to a finer one to do some of the smaller details. As you dipped the tip into some paint, you felt a presence behind you. You knew who it was.

"Hey Ahk" you said.

"It's looking amazing, but that's to be expected from you" he replied.

He placed a drink down on the table you'd dragged out next to you, along with some snacks. Leaning down from behind you, he placed a kiss on your cheek. You turned to steal one off his lips, making him smile.

"I love you" he said.

"I love you too. Thanks for the food, let's make sure I don't accidentally drink paint water this time" you snickered.

"That's probably not good for you, let's stick to iced tea" Ahk replied.

He grabbed one of the chairs from the nearby storage closet and put it next to yours to watch you paint, leaning on your shoulder and admiring your careful brushstrokes.

"I don't know how you manage to make colour work so well. It all looks so natural" he commented.

"Years of practice, I could say the same thing about you and your tomb art style. I can barely replicate it" you replied.

"You'd give it your best shot though, and learn it quickly. You're incredibly talented (y/n)"

What a suck up he was, not that you really minded though. It was cute, you were happy he admired your skill that you'd world so hard on.

"Where in your office are you going to hang it?" He asked.

"I think by the desk, so I can always see it and remember why I got this job in the first place. Without your tablet none of this would have happened and I wouldn't be here right now" you replied.

"My tablet may have caused some problems in the past but at least it drew you to me. I don't know what I'd be doing right now if you weren't there that day, I'd probably be in my exhibit having an existential crisis about how I'm technically dead"

"Not anymore you're not, sure you might be alive with magic but you're still alive. Until I die, you and I will be alive together. And when I do die, we'll be back to living at night together, no matter what we're always together"

He smiled, he loved to listen to your voice. You could talk for hours and he'd just sit there and listen, it was even better when you talked about things like love and things you're passionate about. Seeing you get exited and happy made him beam with joy.

"Can I add something to the painting? It might not match the style but-"

"Go for it" you agreed before he could even finish.

You didn't mind him adding to it at all, that just made it even more special.

"I need to get a finer brush, I'll be right back" you said, getting you and leaving him to add his details on.

He picked up a brush and dipped it into the paint, picking an empty spot on the scenery of the main floor amongst all the other exhibits. With careful strokes, he began to paint.

You ducked up to go your office which was almost full of everything you'd need now. Opening your drawers you dug through your supplies looking for the right brush.

A knock on the doorframe caught your attention and you looked up to see Larry.

"Hey Mr guardian of Brooklyn" you said.

"Just a heads up dexters on the run again, might wanna lock your door when you're done" he warned.

"Oh gods, that menace"

"Nice setup by the way, it looks organised in here"

You'd taken the time to make sure everything was in a good spot, it was neat and still decorated to your style. You were pretty proud of your office actually.

"Thanks, I think I'm about done with it. Just need to add the painting when it's done" You said.

Finding your brush and closing your the drawer you stepped out and locked up to keep menacing monkeys out of your stuff.

"By the way, thanks for not kicking me out that day. If you did I wouldn't be working here now" you said.

"I'm glad you're here to stay, the museum needs people like you. Plus, you're probably the best thing that's ever happened to Ahk. He was always a bit... gloomy before me met you. While he did enjoy himself and keep a smile on his face I could tell he was still struggling with everything that happened to him. You've really helped him, he's lit up since meeting you" Larry replied.

"I noticed that too, I'm glad he's happier now. I don't know what I'd do without him"

Hearing a crash down the hallway, Larry sighed knowing he'd have to clean something up.

"I'll talk to you later, I need to deal with whatever that was" he said.

"I'll show you the painting when it's done" you replied.

Parting ways you went back to your spot overlooking the main floor, and found Ahk had already almost finished his little addition.

"Let me see" you said.

"Hang on, I'm almost done" he replied.

Adding just a few more details, he finished it off and put the brush down, letting you have your chair in front of the easel back. You sat down to take a closer look, and found two little hieroglyph style figures on the dance floor together, hands together and smiles on their faces. You and him, dancing together among everyone else, the colours matched with the rest of the painting and they fit in perfect despite the difference in style.

"That's a perfect addition, thank you" you smiled.

"Maybe one day in another thousand year's historians will find it and wonder what it means. Two Egyptian style figures dancing among the others" he said.

"Whatever conclusion they come to, they'll definitely be able to tell the two figures are lovers"

You may be from two different times, places and cultures, but fate bought you together and you never wanted to leave his side. And just like your love for one another, it was now immortalised in a painting that'd hang in the museum for years to come.

THE END