Chapter 30 | how to break the news

The two of you decided to sit in Ahk's exhibit for the night, needing a moment to recover from the effects of the ritual. The slight dizziness wasn't ideal to be playing games with.

Leaning against the sarcophagus' you sat together with your heads in each others shoulders, just happy to be with each other and have the answers you were looking for. The tablet was back in its spot on the wall and you gazed up at it, feeling the need to thank the inanimate objects for the opportunity it's given you.

"Hey, (y/n)..." Ahk spoke up.

"Hm?" You replied.

"I don't want to... reopen any wounds or anything but... when I got a glimpse of your memories I noticed that your mother wasn't really around. Is everything ok regarding that?"

Ah, he noticed did he? It was true, your mother wasn't really around much. She wasn't the best person in all honesty, but you had a wonderful dad so it was ok.

"She wasn't really around. She kind of just left me with my dad and off she went around the time I was 5ish. I was obviously upset at the time, being a kid and not really understanding. But now I look back and know the full story from my dad, I see she wasn't the best person and I was better off without her. My dad did all he could to raise me and was a great father though, and I did have my grandmother and aunts to be kind of stand in mother figures. It's ok, I understand now I'm older" you explained.

"You did seem to get on fine from what I saw, lots of memories of swimming at the river with your cousins. And you seemed to have a lot of fun with your small family anyway, especially the dog" Ahkmenrah replied.

He really saw a lot didn't he? You hadn't even mentioned your childhood dog and he knew about it.

"Ah good old spots. I miss him, he was such a good boy. Lives a very long life for his breed too, he was always there for me as a kid" you smiled, reminiscing on your beloved pet.

"He looked like a good boy, always smiling"

"Yeah he was one smiley boy. The kind of dog that heard you come home and would race up to you and lick you all over"

"I had a cat like that when I was pharaoh. She was such a clingy one, always snuggling up to you. In fact she was mummified with me, I bet she's in a museum somewhere from my tomb being excavated" Ahk replied.

The two of you reminisced on your memories together, now you'd both seem glimpses of each others lives. You could do it all night if you didn't have other things to think about, but there was a more pressing matter at hand.

"What the hell am I going to tell my dad... he'd throw me in the loony bin if I just walked up to him and said 'guess what I'm dating a reanimated mummy and we're bound by magic" you sighed.

"Why not just... show him? Bring him to the museum and show him everything coming to life so he knows you're being serious?" Ahk suggested.

"I mean that's probably the best way to have him understand, but still... I don't wanna freak him out. I almost had a heart attack seeing you rise from the dead for the first time"

"I think most people who see our little secret freak out the first time. Larry was screaming all down the hallways on his first night. I could hear it from my sarcophagus"

That was true, most people would be a bit freaked seeing something so unbelievable. But it was probably the best way to have your dad take you seriously and understand you weren't kidding when you told him the person you're in love with is tied to ancient magic.

"Maybe I can get him here on the pretence of seeing my portrait on display, and from there explain everything when the museum wakes up" you pondered.

"That's a good idea. Plus, I'm sure he'd love to see your work. From all the pictures you have on your fridge of you and your father together it seems he's very supportive" Ahk replied.