Chapter 28 | ritual

You were willing to do anything at this point, you and Ahkmenrah had become so head over heels for each other you couldn't bare to part. Whatever this ritual was and however many hoops you had to jump through to make things work. You'd do it.

"Sorry to just... jump in but-" Larry spoke up.

The most of the museum was crowded around you by now, all wanting to know what the tablet was up to. And when Larry spoke all the attention turned from you to him.

"You're graduating soon right? Maybe you could become the art curator here? That would allow you to be in the museum pretty much every day, near the tablet in case something happens. All of Ahk's artefacts are here too so if you worked here then you and Ahk would be in close proximity to everything important" he suggested.

There as few mummers of agreement, it was a good idea and you'd be paid well for work like that. You'd be able to put your art degree to use as well. The museum didn't have a very big art department, but it did have one that needed to be looked after. And as time went on and it expanded they'd need someone to archive and study all the works.

"That's a good idea actually... I'd be able to get the job with my degree, it's an art career, I'd be close to the tablet and everything to do with Ahk... and it pays well" you replied.

"You should do it, the museum would benefit. You'd benefit, I'd benefit. It's the perfect situation" Ahk replied.

That solved the what you'd do with your life while being magically bound to Ahkmenrah problem, but there was still the Ahk being alive during the day thing. He wasn't exactly 'real' to the world. Sure he was the real 4000 year old pharaoh Ahkmenrah, but he has no modern day ID. No birth certificate, no drivers license, no credit card. Nothing. He was undead, a living mummy.

"This ritual binds the two of you together forever, and was never intended to be playing out like this in the modern day. So we never prepared anything for a situation like this to happen. He would need some kind of identification, even if he were to hide in the museum the whole time there's still very chance someone will find him and inquire into his identity. At the very least he needs an identification document dated in the modern day" Shepseheret explained.

That would be a bit tricky to get, not to mention a bit illegal. But since he wasn't a 'regular' human, he didn't need things like medicine or food and water. He could enjoy food and drink, but could survive without it thanks to the tablet. And if he got hurt the tablet would heal him, so no medical attention would be needed. All he needed was a place to stay, which you'd happily provide. And the museum was always a backup.

A place to stay and some kind of identification just in case someone wanted to verify he was a real person.

It was doable, maybe a little sketchy to fake something like that but doable.

And his name being Ahkmenrah wouldn't raise any eyebrows, people were named after historical figures all the time. He could always just say he was named after the pharaoh, as if he weren't the actual pharaoh himself.

"It's doable, a bit tricky but hey fake IDs are getting real hard to spot these days" you said.

"That sounds illegal..." Ahk said.

"Well... yeah, but I feel like in this situation we can make an exception. I mean it's not like you're a minor trying to buy alcohol with a fake ID. You're a 4000 year old pharaoh just trying to live a modern life"

It'd take some work, but it seemed like this whole situation could be navigated.

"And your family, (y/n)?" Merenkahre said.

Now that, you weren't sure how to navigate. How did you tell your parents you're magically bound to your true love who happens to be a mummy and you'll come back to life when the moon is out after you die with him? It wasn't exactly something that happens every day, and the tablets power and the museum coming to life are all meant to be kept secret.

"I'll... admit I'm not sure how I'm going to tell them but... I'll do anything if it means we can make this work. What's the ritual? How do I become part of all this forever?" You replied.

The previous pharaoh picked up the tablet, twisting all the tiles into the correct formation.

"It must be done under the stars. You are to both hold it with both your hands, facing each other. You lean over it and kiss. As soon as your lips touch, your souls are bound together. But it is a draining process, it'll feel like an electric shock, you'll probably fall weak for a while afterwards and during the kiss you'll be able to see each others memories for a brief moment. It'll be over quickly, but it will feel a lot longer" Merenkahre explained.

"As soon as the sun rises again, the ritual is complete and the two of you are bound by souls. You will continue to age (y/n), but thanks to the tablet you will be kept in good shape and health until your natural death. When you do die, you will awaken again once the burial process is over. And from then on the two of you will awaken every night, and die in the day as Ahkmen had done before. It will set things back to how they were originally intended" Shepseheret continued.

Ahkmenrah glanced at the clock, it was getting into the early hours of the morning now.

"It's a bit late to do it now. Tomorrow, we can make everything offical tomorrow" he said.

"Sounds like a plan... and thank you Merenkahre, Shepseheret for accepting me into the family and allowing me to know all the tablets secrets. I promise I'll stay by your sons side until the end of time itself" you added.

His parents gave you each an approving smile, Merenkahre gently tapping his staff on your shoulder.

"You've proven yourself trustworthy, if my son loves you, then you're welcome into the family" he said.

What a relief, he was the intimidating one you were nervous about impressing. Thank the gods he accepted you as his sons lover.

Now with answers, a plan and tasks for the future to make everything work, Ahk could enjoy the rest of his parents visit without any worries and just spent time with them after so long. You had some time to think about how you'd tell your own family about all this, but at least you had a plan to work at the museum and find Ahk some kind of identification that'll allow him to live modern with you.

You had a plan for the future now, and a bit of time to think about it. But finally, tomorrow night you'd complete the ritual and be one with Ahkmenrah forever.

And given how much the museum liked their parties, you had a feeling they'd be treating this like a wedding and there'd be one hell of a party after the ritual was complete.