Chapter 20 | grand prize

What an eventful past few weeks it had been, from being branded by a magic tablet to your undead lover suddenly being able to live through the daylight, to him suddenly feeling the effects of his past life... so much has happened so quickly.

So today you intended on keeping things calm, that was until you saw the date and remembers today was the day the contest results were announced. How could you possibly stay calm when your portrait could win something? You needed need grand prize, you just wanted something. To place, to win a vote category or even just be acknowledged by one of the judges. But either way, whatever you got you'd be happy with. Just the fact your work got to be on display was enough.

You'd been getting quite used to the routine of the day beginning and going to classes, taking a nap with Ahk in the afternoon so you could be awake at the museum at night. And you'd been getting rather used to Ahk being alive during the day, although it was still a bit odd to see him in the sunlight rather than under the stars. Whatever the tablet was doing you were glad it was allowing more time together.

While you spent your day eagerly refreshing the contest page waiting for the results, Ahk had been using all your art supplies to make something. He insisted on not showing you until it was done, so you figured you'd allow him to go nuts and have a nice surprise later on. He was laser focused, several papers before him and a mess of coloured pencils on the desk. Whatever he was making, he was determined. It was pretty sweet to see him fall in love with art the way you did, and be so immersed in his craft.

You however were loosing your mind with anticipation over these results. Your grade for the portrait was a good one, so surely you'd get something from this contest right?

Your day was wasted in front of that screen just waiting, a nap and then coming back to the screen. At least Ahk was being productive... by now the afternoon was starting to turn to evening and the sun was starting to set, you'd have to leave for the museum pretty soon.

"Oh my gods come on! I need to know this..." you sighed in frustration, leaning back against the pillows on the sofa.

"I'm sure you're going to win something, no need to stress over it" Ahkmenrah replied, nose stuck in his art.

"I need to know! Even if I don't get anything I just have to know where I ranked"

"You'll win something, I can assure that. No judge would pass up your art it's incredible (y/n)"

"Such a flatterer you are" you smiled.

He gave you a smile, always one for flattery.

"Of course, if even the tablet thinks you're special enough to brand you with my eye then you're deserving of such flattery" he replied.

"Suck up"

"As if you're not"

That was true, you were a bit of a suck up as well. But not as much as him by a landslide, he was the king of Egypt and of being head over heels for their partner.

"Speaking of suck ups... Octavius" you joked.

"Oh I know, he's always one step behind Jedediah. Those two are star crossed lovers if ever I've seen it" Ahkmenrah snickered.

"Are they actually together? Or is it a fling type of deal?"

"I'm not sure actually... they've never officially announced a relationship but with how stuck together they are I wouldn't be surprised if they never actually had an offical confession, they just... kissed one day and it became a thing from there"

The two minis had become rather well known to you. They'd attended every art class you'd done, much to your surprise. They seemed to be the kind for mischief making rather than calm art, but they still showed up. Octavius insisted art was important to Rome and that's why he was interested, and Jedediah claimed he wanted to know how to draw so he could flex on all his other cowboy minis. But you had a feeling they just wanted to spend time together and draw each other.