Chapter 25 | arrival

This morning, the crates containing the sarcophagus's of Ahkmenrahs parents and some of their artefacts arrived at the museum and would be put up for display after the museum closed.

It'd been a few weeks since Larry managed to convince the museums to collaborate and have them on display here for a while. And a few weeks since you'd gotten that sudden dizzy spell from the tablet. In that time you'd been waiting, you hadn't felt that different. You still needed answers to this whole thing though, you'd been branded by a magic tablet after all. That isn't something that just happens to anyone.

These few weeks of waiting had been nerve wracking. No matter how many times Ahk insisted it'd be ok, you were nervous to meet his parents. Sensing your nerves, Ahk had gotten into your craft supplies and made you some jewellery to match his, so you could at least feel a little more fancy in the presence of pharaohs. He was quite good at craft, the matching necklace and bracelet set had quickly become your favourite accessories to wear.

You dug through your closet, looking for something even remotely nice to wear. You felt like you needed to put in some effort here, again they were pharaohs. You didn't have many fancy outfits, you'd just never needed them. Your closet consisted of mainly paint stained shirts and jeans, whatever was comfortable and suited the weather.

"You know you don't have to dress up, you're already beautiful" Ahkmenrah insisted.

"I know but... I feel like I need to be at least a bit presentable. Your family are all royals Ahk" you replied.

He knew what you meant, even though he was insistent you didn't need anything fancy to be beautiful, he knew the feeling of wanting that boost of confidence.

"Well we have a few hours until the museum closes. If you want we could go out shopping, use some of that prize money" he suggested.

"Actually that's not a bad idea..." you replied, closing the closet doors and turning to put some shoes on.

Ahkmenrahs pharaoh attire hung on a coat hanger on the back of your door, as he'd taken his usual afternoon nap in one of your shirts. You took note of the colours, patterns and style hoping you might be able to find something similar. Ahk was rather fond of taking outings into the modern world, and you knew now to avoid any potential triggers. Going out was a lot easier for him now he was more used to it, and knew where and what to avoid. That didn't stop him from keeping his arms wrapped around yours when you walked down the streets to stay close to you.

So you ventured out into the streets down to the shopping strip.

"I know it'll probably be fine... but just in case-" you began, looking around at the shops.

"You're overthinking darling" Ahk cut you off.

"I know... but hypothetically, if they didn't like me..."

"Which won't happen, they'll love you"

He was persistent wasn't he?

"I know but HYPOTHETICALLY, what would you do?" You asked.

"As much as I love and miss my parents, I spent my whole life with them. If they don't want me to spend the rest of my afterlife with you then I won't tolerate that. I spent my life with them, I can spend my afterlife with you" Ahk replied.

You got what he meant, he loved his parents but he'd spent so much time with them compared to you. He wanted more time with you.

Spotting a formal wear shop, you turned into it and looked around at the walls lined with dresses, suits, play suits and heels.

"Wow... formal fashion looks very different nowadays..." Ahk muttered, taking in the all the colours of garments around him.

One of the employees noticed the two of you looking around and approached you, customer service voice and all.