Chapter 27 | secrets of the tablet

Maybe you had been overthinking, Ahkmenrahs parents turned out to be rather nice and a lot more open to you than you expected. Although Larry mentioning he was half Jewish and Merenkahre's response of 'we owned 40 000 of them' did give you one harsh slap of a reminder they were ancient and definitely not up to date with the world. Ahk's quiet 'here we go...' in response knowing it was definitely an outdated, bad thing that happened was a little amusing though.

Even 4000 year old pharaohs can be embarrassed by their parents apparently.

But finally, you were going to get the answers you were looking for. The tablet lay on the front desk of the museum, everyone who was interested crowded around it. An answer was finally going to be given.

"You were born at midnight..." Merenkahre began, giving his son a nostalgic look.

Ahkmenrah had all his attention on his father, not wanting to miss a single detail.

"When I first saw you, you instantly became more precious to me than all the wonders of the ancient world. I knew that I could never bare to see you go, so I commanded the high priest to create a gift to you..."

The past pharaohs hands grazed over the tablet, looking down at it in its worn down state. Still shining with gold but chipped and scratched with age.

"Using all the mysteries and secrets he'd learnt of the afterlife, it was forged in the temple of Khonsu. God of the moon, traveler's and fertility. The tablet of Ahkmenrah was created..."

You had a hunch it had to do with Khonsu, after looking into it and seeing him all over the tomb walls.

"Our tomb was designed so the moons rays would light the tablet, and power it. The moon god blessed the tablet with his light so that not even death could part us, as long as it's in his light. If the tablet is without moonlight for too long, it'll loose it's power. But, given the tablet looks to be working... I assume you'll want to know about the branding on your lovers hand" Merenkahre explained.

"Please, father. Tell me it won't hurt them" Ahkmenrah replied.

"No... it won't hurt them. That part of the tablets power, it was your mothers idea..."

The queen took over, her turn to explain the secrets of the tablet.

"The tablet was made to ensure we'd be together forever. Even if we were apart, we'd always find our way back together thanks to its power. And because you were to be pharaoh, and take over the kingdom, I wanted to make sure that whoever you picked as your royal partner would be able to stay with us as well, along with any children you may have" Shepseheret began.

It was interesting to think that if you were alive with Ahkmenrah 4000 years ago, you'd probably have been buried in that same tomb he was found in, and taken to the museum with him. You'd be an exhibit, a mummy come to life, an ancient ruler along side him.

"So, I had another enchantment placed on it. Thanks to the Devine blessing of Hathor, goddess of love. The person you fell in love with, would be bound to you when they touched the tablet. Allowing them to experience the same effects as us, if (y/n) we're with you 4000 years earlier, they'd be in our tomb with us and able to come to life every night as intended. But... you were taken from us before you found a lover..." she said, sadness in her tone toward the end.

Any mention of what Kahmunrah did to his little brother made you want to take a Khopesh and slice him like he did to his own brother. Give the cruel fuck a taste of his own medicine. But he wasn't here anymore, and it was in the past. There was nothing you could do but help Ahk through the trauma it caused him.

"The enchantment never broke though, and all these years later it's still in effect. So when (y/n) touched the tablet, it bound them to you. And because you are already dead, rather than it bringing them back to life it bought you back. (Y/n) is still alive, you... you're more... reanimated. That's why you don't fall dead at sunlight anymore, being bound to (y/n) means you're able to stay alive longer. When they die, you shall return to being dead in the daylight, and they will rise with you at night as intended" Shepseheret explained.