Chapter 39 | the job

A/n: the next chapter will be the final one! I definitely wanna do more NATM stuff at some point, it's fun universe to write in.

It felt like every time you came skipping into the museum you had some kind of good news. First your art award, then your graduation and now your brand new job. Just this morning you'd revived the call that you were indeed the new art curator, you were hired!

Naturally you had to come tell everyone that you'd be around a lot more often. And unsurprisingly Ahk was quite pleased with the news and wouldn't stop congratulating you. Now the two of you could be in the museum much more often and able to live both a regular life as a couple and your secret one after dark. And now you didn't have to sneak into the museum, you were working there so you had your own and ID.

"There you are! Congratulations I knew you'd get the job" Larry said as you walked in, excitedly dragging Ahk behind you.

"You must have put in a really good word for me. Thank you" you replied.

"You're the perfect one for it, you get your one office and entry ID now you won't have to keep sneaking in"

"Oh! You get an office that's right! Can I help decorate it?" Ahkmenrah spoke up.

"Of course, you have good taste in decor" you replied.

The sun was almost set, no one was awake and moving around yet. So you had a bit of time to see your new office and get your new ID and such, Larry lead you to the office and have you a key for it opening it to reveal your new workspace. It was pretty empty at the moment, as it was still pretty new. It had a desk, computer, shelves with all the archives for the art displays on it and some empty pin boards. Plenty of room for you to add your own stuff.

"Ooh look at my fancy nameplate!" You smiled, picking up the little standee off the desk.

Mx (y/n) (l/n), art curator.

You could definitely get used to that title.

"That makes it seem so offical" Ahk smiled.

"I'm the one and only art curator of the New York museum of natural history, the guardian of the paintbrush" you joked.

Also on the desk was your new work ID, your name bade and a uniform jacket. You may not have a cool utility belt with a torch and millions of keys like Larry did, but you could definitely give yourself an art smock with pockets full of paintbrushes.

"Welcome to the museum team (y/n), you'll do great" Larry said.

"Thanks, I'm exited to start" you replied.

Commotion down the hall told you the exhibits were awake, and Larry should probably get there before someone broke something. You took your new work jacket and put it on along with the name badge. Your ID card you attached to your keys with the provided key ring you'd absolutely be filling with fun keychains. Time to flex your cool new stuff on the exhibits.

Heading out to the main entrance where everyone tended to gather, you ducked under Rexy's swinging tail. At this point you were pretty used to dodging dinosaur bones.

"Guess who's the new art curator!" You exclaimed.

That caught the attention of those nearby and a series of joyous remarks were called back toward you. Teddy the first one to come up to you and inspect your shiny new ID.

"I knew you'd get the job, welcome to the team mx (l/n)! Officially this time" he congratulated.

"I won't have to sneak in anymore, I can just say I'm staying late to finish some work" you snickered.

"Congratulations (y/n), you absolutely deserve this job. You've earned it" Sacajawea added.

"Thank you, I'm practically bouncing off the walls ready to get started"

As you chatted with the exhibits about what your new job would entail and how you'd be at the museum with them all much more often, Ahkmenrah leaned against the front desk watching you, smiling at you the whole time. He was proud of you, you'd worked so hard to graduate with top grades and win awards that would get you the best art job you wanted. And now you had it, and it was right in the place he called home.

"You're lookin like Cupid just shot ya!"

Ah, he knew that accent.

"I love them Jed, what can I say" Ahkmenrah replied.

The cowboy who's managed to climb up onto the desk to watch silly cat videos with Octavius couldn't help but notice the pharaohs lovesick gaze.

"Looks like we'll get to have more art lesson again now they work here,  they're pretty fun" Jedediah pointed out.

"They are, they're such a good art  teacher too. This is the perfect job for them, I just know they'll thrive here. And we get to see you guys almost every night now" Ahkmenrah replied.

"We miss having y'all here 24/7, it'll be nice to have you around more often again"

Your conversation with the others seemed to have shifted to Ahkmenrah, because you called him over to join. Taking the minis with him to be part of it too, he joined the small group that had formed around you.

"What do you think Ahk? You gonna let me be the sole breadwinner or are you going to take a crack at modem life?" You asked.

"Bread... what?" He muttered.

"Oh yeah that's a modern term... now you're alive 24/7 again, do you want to try and accumulate to modern life by getting a job or something? Or will you be fine with just following me around all the time?"

He thought for a moment. While he was absolutely ok with just following you around for the rest of your life, he did know from time to time when you were busy he'd be pretty bored sitting at home while you were gone. The museum was only alive at night as well so he didn't have much to do during the day when you weren't around.

"Well... I think something to pass the time when you're not around would be nice. Maybe I'll pick up archeology like you suggested" he said.

"That would fun, and something you'd be extra good at as an actual ancient person" Teddy replied.

"Maybe later on when (y/n) has more work to do I can go do a course on it and we can both work for the museum. I'd need some form of modern ID though... not sure how I'll get that since I'm legally dead..."

"Well we can cross that bridge when he come to it huh? For now let's just enjoy finally knowing what was up with the tablet and my cool new job" you said.

He pulled you into a tight hug, smiling bright and lifting you off the floor.

"I'm so proud of you" he said.

"Thanks darling" you smiled back.

He pressed a kiss to your cheek, making you giggle with joy.

"You're a work of art yourself you know?"