Chapter 6---Charlie's Party (2)

Chapter 6- Charlie’s Party (2)

“May I sit here?” One elegantly dressed man asked Rose, pointing at the chair that Mary had sat. He dressed in a sharply-cut navy blue suit, white shirt, a bow tie and a long navy blue jeans. He looked so young and attractive. Rose thought. Rex Matt, my superior, my manager.

“Sure.” Rose said awkwardly, showing a nervous smile. She had never been talking to his manager. 

“You work at the firm which Charlie works or...” Rex politely asked, as he sat down. 

“Yes. Same department with Charlie, accounting department.” Rose answered quickly and nervously. Then, she took a sip of red wine. 

“I see. My name is Rex, the manager of the firm which you work at.”

“I saw you before. My name is Rose.” Rose still felt nervous as she was approached by someone who totally came from a different part of the world. High social class. It’s impossible. How could he approach me. I am nobody.     

“How many years have you been working, Ms. Rose?” 

“three years and a half since I graduated.” 

“Oh....” Rex responded, took a quick sip of wine. Rose was eating pancake. 

“So, how do you feel working at the company?” 

“Errr...”Is it his main purpose? Doing observation and monitoring.Rose wondered. “Good. The environment is relaxed and supportive.”

“Hmm....So, generally, you are satisfied with your job?”

“Yup. Is it part of your purpose? Coming here to do some research on your staff?” Rose blurted out before she managed to bring her impulse under control. It sounded a bit sarcastic. Shit! Did I just say that? Rose, you are at stake of being fired. Her subconscious told her.

“It’s not research. Joining party is actually a great chance for managers to have deeper understanding on his or her workers. Besides, It will also help managers to create a friendly relationship with his or her subordinate.” Rex elucidated in a professional manner, beaming instead of showing any sign of irritation. Rose blushed. Rose became more natural and comfortable with the manager after realizing how friendly and kindly her manager is. Thus, she started to attack him back. 

“It’s my turn now.” Rose smiled naturally, obviously, she wasn’t nervous anymore. She behaved like she was actually going to interview a successful manager. 

“Well. I will do my best.” Rex uttered, chewing his food. 

“So, what’s your major in university?”

“I have 2 masters and 1 PhD. Master in Business Administration. Master in Management and PhD in management.” Rex replied proudly. “Wow! Not only he is young and attractive, but also having high academic quality.” Rose surreptitiously envied.

“You are great. Undoubtedly, you would be the manager of such a big international company.” Rose complimented. Rex smiled, seemingly enjoyed the praise. “When did you become manager?”

“Five years ago, when you were still studying hard for your degree. No offense.”

“I see. How did you manage to accomplish that? Any secret can share with me?” Rose asked half-jokingly, eagerly waiting for the secret. She wanted to become manager too one day.

“First of all, you have to be really, really good. Willing to work hard. Dare enough to take risk and challenge. And you have to be sociable, extroverted, imaginative, curious and domineering.” Rex said seriously and professionally, stopping eating at the moment. “Is it your dream?”Rex added, his curiosity was piqued. “Why would she ask this question?”

“What?” Rose asked confusingly.

“Is it your dream to be a manager?” Rex repeated. 

“Not only me. Every office person wishes to be a manager. Didn’t you?” 

“I craved for it. I am not dream.” 

“Seriously, any difference between both of them?” Rose doubted. 

“For the former, the level of desire is very high, higher than the latter. Sometimes, people just let their so called dream, to be merely a dream. No action or step taken at all.” Rex continued his delicious food. Both of them stopped talking for while. 

“Oops! It’s 01.00! Too late. I got to go.” Rose shouted after looking at her watch. She was over-indulged in chatting with her young and attractive manager and forgot the fact that she came here with Mary. She was looking for her. Mary also seemed enjoying with her old friends too. That’s why she left Rose without coming back to her.

“Why? Is it your house rule, must go back before a certain time?” Rex curiously asked, as the person sitting before him was an adult. 

“Nope. I live with my boyfriend.”Rose answered while tracking for Mary. In fact, she missed her boyfriend so she wanted to leave.

“Ohh....What are you looking for?” Rex was a bit shocked. 

“My friend, who fetched me here.”

“If you don’t mind, I can give you a ride.” Rex demanded politely. 

“Errr....” Rose hesitated. She didn’t want to bother Rex. 

“Let’s go.” Rex uttered without giving Rose a chance to decide. 

Rose shyly nodded.  

       ________________________To Be Continued_________________________

Hit ‘VOTE’, drop a COMMENT, and add this novel to your READING LIST If you found this story ENJOYABLE!!! By the way, please point out any grammatical error that I had made through commenting or posting on my message board! Thank You!!!