twenty

20. Someone To Watch Over Me

"What so the cops just came in and started going through your things?" Daniella asked Spencer, talking to the Hastings girl on the phone while walking down the stairs.

"Yeah, they had a search warrant which allowed them to search every single thing I owned" A frustrated Spencer replied, "They are looking for anything that would link me to Ali".

Daniella went to say something else, when she spotted her father near the kitchen window, looking out at someone, "Hey Spence, I'll call you back in a second".

"Yeah, okay" Spencer said, hanging up on the Montgomery girl.

"Good morning" Byron greeted, seeing his oldest daughter enter the room.

"Morning" A confused Daniella said.

"Good morning guys" Aria greeted, walking over to her father and sister.

Daniella looked at the dinning table, where two coffee cups were placed.

"Hey, listen, your mom called, she's gonna be swinging by for coffee, see if you guys want a lift to school" Byron informed the girls.

"So she wasn't already here for coffee?" Daniella asked, picking the cups up and showing her dad, "Next time mom wants to sneak out, tell her not slam the door so hard".

"So mom was already here this morning?" Aria asked shocked, Byron simply nodded, "Why does she have to leave and fake coming back then?".

Byron didn't say anything, just took the cups out of Daniella's hand, making her look at him wide eyed, "Oh my god!" she yelled in realisation, "Mom wasn't just here this morning, was she? She was also here last night, mom slept over!".

"Listen, when your brother comes down we're gonna talk about this" Byron told his daughters.

"Wait, you snuck mom into your room last night?" Aria asked, not knowing if she should be amused or shocked.

"Technically, you cannot sneak into your own house" Byron replied.

"Okay then, me and Aria are going to remember that for the future" Daniella teased.

"Hey--".

"Hey!" Ella said, entering the kitchen before Byron could say anything, "Did your dad tell you I called? I was just around the corner so I thought I'd take you guys to school".

"Um, we're busted" Byron told Ella, while the twins looked at their mother in amusement.

"Oh" Ella said simply, suddenly feeling very awkward.

"You slept here last night?" Aria asked.

"Uh, it just sort of happened" Ella replied.

"Wait, are you guys getting back together?" Daniella asked.

"We don't know" Ella replied, before Byron could say anything.

"No, we're trying to figure that out" Byron added.

Ella observed her daughters, "You two don't look surprised" she said.