Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Stare

verb

-to look fixedly or vacantly at someone or something with one's eyes wide open

-to be boldly or obtrusively conspicuous

-(of hair, feathers, etc.) to stand on end; bristle

I finally understood what it felt like to have stage fright.

I had never really experienced it before, which - when you consider my usual anxieties and aversions to public places - was strange. Somehow, though, giving presentations or speaking up in class had never a problem for me. But now with every eye that passed by us trained solely on me, I felt like I might vomit.

People literally stopped to stare at me in the hallway and others craned their neck around the sea of students just to get a glimpse of the infamous little Volpe who had become the talk of the school overnight. Before last week, people knew something of the only Volpe at Houlton High, but most probably didn't know what she looked like and they definitely didn't know her name. I had tried my best to stay under the radar throughout high school only to have that backfire on me in the last year.

Kyle and Serena walked in stride with me through the halls, prepared to take on anyone who dared to say or do something to me, but it never came. I wasn't sure if it was because they were too scared to approach us and have the balls to have something to say to our faces after yesterday or if they were just too enthralled at the sight of my scars to form words. Kyle walked us up to our lockers, hovering next to me as I got my books out, and led us both to Mr. Gamert's classroom without incident; if you don't count people stopping in their tracks to stare at me as an incident.

"Thanks, man," I said to him with a squeeze of his shoulder once we stood outside the doorway.

He nodded sharply, still very much on edge and ready to pounce should a situation arise, "I'll meet you guys in the hallway after gym. You don't have to participate today, do you?" His eyes were stern as he bent his head to look down at me, but I knew it wasn't intended for me.

I shook my head, "Nope, not for a while." I gestured down to myself, trailing off with, "Although..." With my rapidly improving condition, I wasn't sure how long they would honor my doctor's excusal from gym when it was no longer applicable.

He clenched the muscles in his jaw tautly, "Well at least I don't have to worry about that today." He looked down to Serena then, "I'll see you later. Make sure she doesn't get into anymore trouble while I'm gone, she's gonna be the death of me."

She hooked her arm around my elbow, "You and me both." Kyle turned with one last wave and hurried to make it to his class on time.

Walking into Bellamy's classroom, I nearly sighed with relief. More eyes drilled holes through me but it was no different from the hallways. It was a relief knowing that we had made it here without someone getting decapitated and now that we were here, I knew Mr. Gamert would protect me and take Kyle's place.

"Ms. Marino?" I heard his deep voice softly growl from across the room as I entered.

Serena shot me a look, but went on to take her seat as I walked up to his large desk. Standing on the opposite side from him, he brought up his finger and urged me to come around to where he sat; as much privacy as we could get at the moment. He sat forward in his chair as I stood in front of him expectantly, asking with a whisper, "Are you okay?" His eyes scanned me over, looking for any evidence that I was severely injured, though I had just walked over without an issue. His eyes stopped once they reached the claw marks on my face. The classroom wasn't bright, but recognition filled his bright green irises and his eyes widened.