Epilogue

Epilogue

Attainment

noun

-the action or fact of achieving a goal toward which one has worked

"If you don't get off me, I'll put your ass back in the hospital," I snapped at Brian, shoving him away from me. He was taking up far more of my personal space than my claustrophobia could handle.

Squatted beside me from behind Blithe's sofa, he chuckled as he complied to my demands to make room. "Hey, be gentle! I might be a big guy, but I need to be babied too." Try as he may, his head was barely able to stay below the top of the couch even as he bent forward, his torso unable to place much pressure on his lungs. Post-surgery, he remained incapable of certain tasks whereas my cast had been tossed to the wayside days ago. I tried my best not to flaunt it; he had, in some sense, sacrificed his body for our behalf, after all.

"Yeah, no kidding," Lisa gibed, the eye-roll audible in her tone without ever looking to the she-wolf.

I poked my head back above the couch to double-check everything was in place. Ever since I left the hospital, I had been planning a surprise welcome-home party for Blithe upon his release, though our initial date had to be pushed back when he was taken to a rehabilitation center for a couple more days.

Feeling partially responsible for his condition, I insisted on going back to see my mate and keep him company nearly every day since being released myself. I spent hours a day there by his side, sometimes watching from afar as he did his physical therapy. The one time he nearly fell, it took everything for me not to burst through the window and help him back to his feet, but he laughed it off to the medical staff by saying he was too "clumsy". Even while alone with me, he tried to put on a brave face, but I could see the torment behind his eyes, his pain not entirely physical.

Even with all that we had been through because of his father, I knew that Blithe couldn't disregard Monroe the same way I could. No matter what he had done to Blithe, he was still his father and Blithe could never escape the memories - good and bad - that followed Monroe's legacy. The internal, mental battle Blithe was having to fight as a result of the anguish that came with accepting who his father really was likely rivaled the true battle we had fought. I wished I could stand by his side and keep the demons off his back same way I could a couple weeks ago, but throwing him a party to break through his mental barriers would have to do for now.

My phone chimed and I plucked it out of my back pocket, a zip of excitement shooting down my arms. A text from Tiffany read: We're in the elevator now, get ready.

Reaching up to the wall, I flipped off the light switch and announced to the shifters gathered in the apartment, "They're here, everyone hide!"

The answering patters of feet ceased when the sound of the doorknob rattled through the living room. All of us grateful for our pre-determined hiding spots as the Talons stepped into the entryway with their Alpha Guard entourage, we listened as someone struggled to turn on a light.

"Where's Willow?" Blithe asked, his steps growing closer.

Tiffany hummed as though in thought. "She said she would be here..."

Looking around to where Benedita and Serena hid beneath the kitchen table, I met their stare and mouthed a countdown as my fingers did the same. All eyes either on them or me, we ensured everyone was in tune when jumping out. I needed this to be perfect for him; he deserved it.

"...three...two...one—" I traced my hand back up the wall to flip the ceiling lights on as we all collectively jumped up and yelled, "Surprise!"

Small bits of rainbow confetti was tossed from his sister's purse and rained down around his shoulders as his gaze moved to each of his loved ones. Finally, as though saving me for last, his eyes met mine from behind the thick frame of his glasses and the smile that graced his visage was enough to make my heart skip a beat.