Chapter 27

Chapter 27

A/N: The picture above is of the wolverine form of a certain Carca in this chapter.  ;)

WARNING: This chapter contains blood and violence. Reader discretion is advised.

Spar

verb

-(of boxers) to make the motions of attack and defense with the arms and fists, especially as a part of training

-to box, especially with light blows

-to strike or attack with the feet or spurs

-to bandy words; dispute

Feeling too warm, I turned over to rest on my other side in my bed, the coolness of the untouched sheet welcoming me into its embrace. A deep intake of air into my lungs was all I would have needed to go back to sleep, if my alarm clock didn't start to beep with an obnoxiously loud sound that made my heart ram against my ribcage.

"Oh, shut up, you little bastard," I groaned as I stretched my arm out to slap the top of the clock so the irritating sound would stop. I hated it when I would wake up just before the alarm would go off because it made me more frustrated to have to wake up than it normally did.

Blithe and I had nearly fallen asleep on the phone last night, after which we finally conceded to sleep and hung up. We made plans for him to come to my house after school, but that meant I couldn't use him as an excuse to skip today. I dreaded going to school on a normal day, but after the incident this weekend at the Hall, my dread only made the pit in my stomach that much heavier. I wanted so much to drop out of school that day and quit high school altogether, but I had to remind myself, You've come this far.

I forced myself out of bed to get ready for the whatever kind of day I had ahead of me.

When I came downstairs, my father had already left for work and I silently hoped he wouldn't have any more trouble at his job today because of me. I had caused enough trouble for everyone in my life, I couldn't stand it if I got him fired. Since we didn't have any protein bars, I quickly made myself some scrambled eggs and shoved them in my mouth still piping hot, knowing Serena would be expecting me any minute. I looked on the counter as I turned the stove off and found my switchblade tossed in the corner. It might have been illegal to bring it to school, but it offered me a sense of safety that was otherwise missing when I went to school. In my mind, it helped even the playing field a bit. I stuffed it down into my combat boots just in case, the blades neatly tucked away.

I nearly jumped out of my skin and into my other body when the doorbell rang twice to alert me of Serena's presence. With a string of curses under my breath, I threw my backpack over my shoulder and shoved the last forkful of egg into my mouth. I grabbed my keys and opened the front door, "Hey, dude."

Serena beamed down at me, her demeanor bright and cheery when contrasted with mine, "Ready for today?"

Locking the front door, I rolled my eyes and let the storm door slam behind me, "That's sarcasm, right?"

She snorted and flipped her hair over her shoulder as we turned to start walking down the road. "Don't worry, chiquita," her American accent butchered the Spanish word, but I let her have it, "we've got your back. Kyle's already waiting for us outside the doors. He said he wants to be your bodyguard today, but I told him it was sexist for him to be the bodyguard and not me, so now you have two bodyguards." I could imagine that argument in my head and it made a small smile creep up on my lips. "My dads gave me permission to beat the crap out of anyone who bothers you today, so I'm ready to go." She smiled at me, her canines seemingly larger than they had been a moment ago as she considered tearing apart her fellow students. Couldn't say that I blamed her.