Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Injustice

noun

-an unjust act or occurrence

-violation of the rights of others; unjust or unfair action or treatment

Skyler was shaking she was in so much pain, about to go into shock. Last year when my arm had been broken by another Carca girl, I had been able to mostly hide my anguish, but my arm also hadn't been broken because of a bite, either. That girl, who had since transferred schools, had broken my arm when she kicked me and my bone had evenly cracked in two. A bite, with enough force, could completely shatter the bones into dozens of fragments like glass. I was almost certain that that was what I had done to Skyler.

The blood finally stopped as my healing kicked in, but it stained my fur completely, turning it into a sticky, matted mess. Skyler's nose, on the other hand, still continued to spout blood like a faucet and I knew it would require more than her fair share of stitches; hopefully, a few corrective surgeries to boot. It looked mangled and shredded in her wolverine form, I couldn't even begin to imagine what it would look like on her human face.

Serena bounded over to me as the other students crowded around Skyler, "What the hell just happened?"

I looked down from her and took a deep breath, still trying to calm myself down from whatever had invaded my body and pushed me into doing this. "Shit if I know." The conversations from the other shifters were not as loud with the distance that separated us, but the opinions and concerns I was able to catch felt like I was getting clawed at all over again.

"Was she in a bloodlust?" A Pantera girl glanced over her shoulder at me, looking away just as quickly when my eyes looked up to meet her gaze.

A gray Lupo put her ears back against her head, "No, that's just how Volpes are."

Ava, one of the few Orsos, asked as she shook her head, "How'd she even do this?! She's so little!"

"Yeah, but she fights dirty. I've seen her." Another Lupo clacked her jaws together and creased her eyebrows.

A nearly all-white Lupo girl twitched her tail as she stood in the back, "This is the Alpha Ceremony all over again."

A laugh came through the mind-link as another gray Lupo looked around the group of students to catch a glimpse of me, "Blithe's got his hands full with her."

I tried my best to block them out, but failed miserably. I had always said I would much rather get punched in the face than have to be verbally insulted, but, right then, I had just experienced both.

Serena bent her body down so that she laid her belly onto the floor, trying to get on eye level with me to evaluate my condition. Everyone, including the coach, was so concerned about Skyler's well-being that they had forgotten about me altogether. I knew that she was in a much worse condition than I was, but it wouldn't have hurt someone to check on the girl who was covered in blood, either. I was nothing more than the perpetrator in their eyes for who they held no sympathy for. To them, I was the bad guy who started it and deserved it. Serena's light green eyes looked me over with a gentle countenance, "Are they too deep?"

I couldn't find the strength in me to talk to her, instead shrugging as I turned my shoulder from view. Everything burned and I could feel my extremities begin to shake from the aftermath of the adrenaline spike moments before.

The loud sound of sirens began to ring in my ears and I knew that the paramedics had pulled up to the school. They had been called the day I broke my arm too, but not this fast. This was obviously something they deemed serious to arrive this quickly. Either that or they simply didn't care as much about coming to the aid of a Volpe compared to a Carca.