Chapter 22

Chapter 22

A/N: The gif above is of Kyle's eyes changing from his cougar form back to his blue human eyes.

Mistaken

adjective

-wrong in one's opinion or judgement

-(especially of a belief) based on or resulting from a misunderstanding or faulty judgement

The voice was not only familiar, but it sent the hairs on the back of my neck to stand on end and for the chilled night air to suddenly feel freezing against my skin.

Blithe.

I bent over the railing of the balcony of the lighthouse and peered down at my mate as a snarly-scream ripped through Kyle's chest and through the air at the sight of Blithe. The last time he had seen him, Kyle had growled a threat to Blithe, but couldn't do anything about it in front of his pack and the Alpha guard. Now alone, Kyle had unfinished business with him.

Serena had a hand on his back and another on his chest to keep him in place as he shook with anger, seemingly aching to want to jump off the balcony and pounce on my mate.

At the sound, Blithe put his hands up in defense and raised his eyebrows in shock as he took a few steps backwards from the threat. Kyle continued to snarl and he slipped from Serena's grasp before she could push against him to stay. She managed to snatch his shirt between her fingers and yanked him back before he could go down the stairs after Blithe. Her shrill, cold voice called out to the man below us, "Why are you here?" She spoke loudly down to him, knowing she didn't have to actually yell with our sensitive hearing.

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion, something that even from dozens of feet in the air I could clearly recognize on his features, and he answered simply as he casually crossed his arms over his broad chest, "Because she's here." He was still dressed in his casual suit, but his shirt looked wrinkled beyond repair as the first few buttons were undone. His hair hung loose on his shoulders and his expression was tired, even from this distance.

My friends had no idea about anything that went down today and, to them, Blithe was a horribly specist person who was an even worse mate than they could have imagined. In reality, that couldn't have been further from the truth. Guilt hung heavily in my stomach that I hadn't done the responsible, "adult" thing and shifted back to tell them what had happened. Instead, I had cowered and hid in my fox form, free from answering questions that I barely had answers to.

She snorted obnoxiously loud and narrowed her eyes at Blithe, "A little too late for that, buddy. According to you," Kyle snarled behind me, his control slipping even as Serena stroked him to try and calm him, "you would never choose her over your oh-so-precious pack."

A wave of confusion washed over his features and he looked directly at me then, "You didn't tell them, did you?" I shook my head, the feeling of his presence back inside my mind soothing to my anxieties. A growl leaked out from between his lips and he looked up to Serena then, "Look, you guys don't understand what really happened today."

Kyle's gritty, harsh voice spoke up as he bucked against his mate's hold on him, "You don't understand how hard I'm gonna kick your ass!" He stilled for just a moment as he released a terrifying hiss down to my mate. Most humans were under the impression that a Pantera hiss was no scarier than a housecat, but the venomous sound was able to suck all of the air from a room as it exploded with power. The hiss danced along my skin and made me jump from the sheer force that had launched it. In a voice just above a growl, he continued speaking, somehow staying human for just a second longer, "There's nothing more to explain! You don't want her, so leave her alone!"