CHAPTER XXVII: Two of Sword Reversed

"So, did anything special happen while I was gone?"

Sally's question does not come from pure curiosity. Instead, the source is merely the desire to make conversation, to make the walk less awkward. Even if it never was her choice to talk to Wilbur for too long to begin with, she still finds it important to at least know about any events to have taken place in his life. After all, he is her ex-lover and the father of a son that isn't even hers by blood.

Now, she's still thankful for the opportunity she's had to redeem herself by raising Fundy and making him feel loved, but she wishes that Wilbur had had more involvement in his life, especially after the Great Fire. Sally understands the mourning Wilbur had to do, but the way he started treating his son afterwards made her believe that he never wanted to be a father to begin with. This was not what came to such a surprise for her, since he turned him on accident to begin with when trying to kill him, but she at least expected Wilbur to take responsibility. And Hell, at first, he genuinely seemed to enjoy it, even if Fundy was a little more hesitant and confused.

But all of that must have been a simple act, and that's not what Sally hates so much about it. She just wishes that he'd do what he has to, even if he doesn't want it all that much. Philza raised two children that he turned as well, even if he did it accidentally as well, and loved them like his own sons. But this is now what Wilbur was willing to do anymore, so now Sally has had to do the parenting, including explaining things that she has little comprehension of: vampires. Sure, she know what they look like and what they can do and what makes them different from a human based on appearance, but she can't teach him about the things necessary or possible to do like Wilbur can.

"Nothing special," Wilbur eventually shrugs, obviously distracted by the energy that Sally is unable to feel.

This is where you must've walked a bit of time ago. Or maybe it's the strange plant that's to be blamed?

"Schlatt tried to take down our family, as expected, by weak arguments again. As you can already guess, he failed miserably, just like he always does, but I don't know when that goddamn goat will actually try to start a revolution against us. We can't have that."

"Honestly, I think that that's one of the best ideas," Sally laughs, putting her hand on Wilbur's shoulder in the hopes to get some reaction out of him, but failing as well. "After all, it's obvious that the Protectors aren't willing to work together anymore now that Kristin is gone, and XD's absence has not exactly had a positive effect on their abilities either. Maybe it's time for something new?"

"You're talking about a new leader, huh? And who do you have in mind, Sally?" Sally knows that she made a mistake saying this. After all, she knows how much Wilbur wants to prove his worth to his father, so he's not open to the thought of never being able to prove himself to be as much as he is. This entire time, he's been waiting to take over Philza's role of leader, but if there was to get a revolution, he'd get nothing back for all that he's sacrificed, and the siren knows that he's not ready to lose that all.

"I don't think that matters all that much. I just think we need new blood." Wilbur simply scoffs before quickening his pace, likely not wanting to listen more to what she has to say. However, she doesn't think it's enough. "Or what? Do you think that you'll do it better? Do you think that you should be next to rule over Urvorum?"

Wilbur shrugs, being even more distracted now than he were before. Sally can only guess why, although his distraction doesn't seem to be exactly positive. "I don't know," Wilbur just ends up mumbling, growing visibly uncomfortable as he runs his hand through his hair. Sally raises her eyebrow.

"You... don't know?" she says sceptically, watching as his cheek redden slightly – which is quite unusual for a vampire – which makes her thoughts run like crazy. "Honestly, the more I think of it, the more I believe I agree with Technoblade when it comes to anarchy in this town. There's no leader necessary in my opinion, after all."