CHAPTER XLV: The Lovers

"What do we do now, Drista?" Phil asks, sitting on his chair as his face is covered by his hand, his wings hanging on the ground as though he's more exhausted than Drista thought him to be. His words come out like a breath, more air than sound. "We have no idea what the plant can do. How powerful it even is to begin with!"

When Drista arrived at Crimson's, having found Phil with them there, they both found them weakened on the floor. They weren't asleep or anything; instead, they were counting down from one hundred to some really big negative number, claiming to do so in an attempt to keep themselves awake and generate more energy. According to them, they'd felt the burst affect them to the darkest pit of their soul. As though they'd been forced to repeat their worst experiences in their mind over and over again, only thanks to the sudden outburst, leaving them gasping for air.

Their shield would be down for a bit longer, though they claimed to be getting better. Now, though, Phil and Drista were trying to think of what to do. They should do something after all, right?

Drista crosses her arms, letting out a deep and disappointed sigh. "I don't know, Phil," she murmurs as an answer, feeling her concern for you grow, now that she's seen what the plant does to one of the most powerful creatures in the town. She lets out another shaky breath, trying to collect her thoughts. "Maybe we should go and check it out for ourselves. Properly check it out."

Phil makes eye contact with Drista, and neither dare to break it for a long time. When he does, Phil stands up and moves his wings to get off the dust they collected from the floor. "Sam has been in charge of not letting anyone near," he then explains to the Erinys, speaking as though he's in a hurry. "I think it would be better to interrogate him first. Properly interrogate him."

"And he's not going to get offended by that or something?" Drista tries to jokingly throw in, mostly to ease her own nerves. "You know, because we kind of take over his job."

"This isn't the moment to joke around, Drista," Philza comments, as he shoots a glance at the grandfather's clock standing in the room. "I say we go to the plant right now. If we can figure out what to do, what its weakness is, truly anything about it, maybe we can-" Unfortunately, the sounds of the doors opening interrupt Philza, as he turns around at the approaching footsteps. Drista's eyes too trail to the vampires entering the room, it being Technoblade who seems to be supporting Wilbur.

Wilbur himself, meanwhile, looks a lot more dead than he is meant to. His face is paler and the mirrors to his soul are empty, and it truly looks like he is unaware of his surroundings. When Philza sees his son's state, he immediately rushes to him, putting his hands on his shoulders before looking over at the pig. "What happened?"

Drista can easily hear his thoughts. His mind, planning revenge on her beloved family member, who he's already made an outlaw, so much more he can't do, right? About how you will pay for what you did to his son. "Jared possessed him," the surprising answer is, however. "Wilbur was choking Y/N and Jared freaked out, shot into him, and then they both suffered for a short time. He's in a better state than he was right after: although I don't think he recognizes any of us, at least he is aware of our existence."

"Jared did this?" Drista asks with an uncomfortable chuckle, barely able to imagine the ghost to do anything like that. "Surely, you're not serious, right? That kid wouldn't harm a fly."

"I get it. If I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it either," Techno agrees, "but it did. Ask Wilbur yourself when he feels better."

"What is life?"

The question comes out of nowhere, and Techno confusedly looks over at his brother, who hasn't said a word without any distress ever after Jared leaving his body again. Now that he's back home, though, he seems to be well enough to speak, even if it's utter nonsense. "Oh dear," Drista mumbles, "I think he's having an existential crisis. Either that, or Y/N taught him some philosophy, and I don't know which is worse."