CHAPTER XXIX: The High Priestess

"Can you possess people, Jared?"

Your spirit friend and you are standing in the convenience store, Bad on his way to visit you with that weird doll of his while you are simply counting the seconds that pass. For around two hours, it's been raining cats and dogs. The sounds are quite loud, yet sing you to sleep almost, while you're only growing more grateful for the fact that Onyx has no desire to be outside. Otherwise, you'd have to deal with a wet cat, and you're really not looking forward to having to dry him again.

In a comfortable silence, the two of you have been working. Jared cleaned the place, you refilled the stock: it's all been going pretty well. All that you need, is each other's company. There's not even a necessity for conversation, since you can just listen to music and keep yourself calm that way. Honestly, you feel like he has something to say, similar to how you probably should tell him about the 'incident' with Wilbur, but neither of you dare to be the first to deliver shocking news like that, so you've just been silent.

Only now, in hopes that this question will lead to your ability to tell him about this – hopefully, he'll ask you why you're asking, so you can explain it and then mention Wilbur, and blah, blah, the conversation will eventually lead to him being brought up instead of you just throwing out the very off-putting situation you'd been put in without your consent – you break the silence. And he, just looks up at it confusedly.

For a short moment, it seems to go just as you'd hoped, but this quickly changes when he scratches the back of his neck and avoids your eyes. "Well, I can, but I've never tried it before. It's a nerve-wrecking thing to go through, both as culprit and victim, so I really don't want to do it, unless it's really necessary."

"Oh," you simply answer, let down by his answer. Jared notices your disappointment and tries to make it up by explaining more about it.

"According to Jack, who can't do it but has seen someone to it before, it's not like crawling into a skin suit and moving around. It's a lot more traumatizing. Some people even risk being put in a coma. He actually knows someone who has been to some weird Hell, as if Grim Reaper themselves brought him there, but that wasn't the case. Apparently, he spent years of his time in there before finally waking up. He'd lived a whole life while unconscious. He referred to the place as a Limbo, but I'm not sure how much of that is true."

"I thought Limbo was someone's Hell?"

"Yeah, which is what that was. Usually, people can go through it whilst being possessed, but some people even stay in there after the possession. It's a mysterious place, apparently." He grabs a drink. "Schlatt went through it, I'm pretty sure. Apparently, some weird demon had possessed him for around a day and he'd gone through a century worth of memories, which worked like a mixture of his own memories and that of the demon. He described it as 'a magical experience to take place in the depths of my mind'. It was quite weird, I'm pretty sure."

You simply hum, nodding your head sadly as you return to the job again, before thinking back to the many other things you've heard about that were entirely new. "So, first we have Limbo, someone's personal Hell, right?"

"That's how some want to interpret it, yes."

"And Sally once mentioned the Beyond, right? A place where corporeal beings go to after being turned or some shit?"

"Yeah, Sally knows a lot more about that. She used it in the fifties as well, I'm pretty sure." The fifties?

"It's weird to think that the two of you are so old already."

Jared laughs. "I'm not old. I just exist for pretty long." You nod at that and he laughs. "Died at thirty-five. It's still a weird thing to remember. I died so young, yet I was the oldest of my family." His tone is melancholic and bittersweet. Memories are going through his head, none of which you've been a part of, yet you feel like you can relate to the aspect of dying young. Sure, you may not be alive, nor are you dead, but you can still remember getting shot in the heart back at the mall incident, so in a way, you have died.