CHAPTER XXXVIII: Wheel of Fortune

FANART SECTION
Made by: Avery!

Tbh I entirely forgot that Phil worded it like this but I do feel like it's a correct description of the way my brain works or sth (it malfunction halfway the sentence)

There it is again. That beeping noise. God, it's annoying the living shite out of you. It's a constant sound, prickling the deepest part of your soul. It's shallow. A shallow sound, far yet close. And with your heart beating along with its rhythm, you can't help but feel even more annoyed.

With a throbbing headache, you sit up right from the hard surface on which you were lying. A light-headedness hits you right as you do it, and someone immediately shushes you to lie down again, putting his hand in your neck and on your forehead to feel your temperature.

"If they hadn't jumped up like that, I would've declared them death," he speaks, to whomever else is in the room. "They're as cold as the Grim Reaper itself." You open your eyes, the sound slowly fading away as you're failing to focus on anything. Your breathing is quick and irregular at first, as if you're already in a room that lacks oxygen.

The world starts getting clearer and your brain starts doing what it has to. Everything feels weird. Your body feels like a puppet or something. Limbs feel numb, the space is dark, but slowly you start recognizing everyone. The one who just checked your temperature turns out to be Ponk, his back now turned towards you as he's washing his hands. He seems to be still in night clothing, and Sam is standing almost next to him, his arms crossed as he's keeping his eyes on you. Although, you have no idea what to find in them. Is he accusing you? Is he pitying you? You truly can't tell.

"Oh my god, Y/N!" Niki almost immediately shouts out, coming out of absolutely nowhere as she embraces you without being careful. "I thought you died!" As soon as she feels your skin though, she flinches and backs away. "You feel as cold as ice, Y/N. Are you feeling alright?"

"They just woke up, Niki," Jack sighs, coming through the door which she apparently threw open first. "Go easy on them." Jared stands behind Jack, looking at you with worry and uncertainty. You notice how he's scratching at a part on his arm, watching Niki with suspicion in his eyes. Is there something you're not aware of yet? Are you perhaps to expect some dagger being stabbed into your stomach, like you're the main character of some dramatic movie where everybody betrays you because who doesn't love those kinds of unexpected and unreasonable twists?

"How are you?" Jared eventually asks, breaking the silence as he steps past Jack, approaching you anxiously. You know exactly what happened, but your brain refuses to put it in the right order.

"I have no idea, honestly," you admit, slowly feeling strength return as you sit up right, sliding off of the stone-feeling bed. You stand up, shaking on your legs but not falling. "I mean, I'm still alive, kind of."

"If that's the word you want to use, then I'm not going to judge," Ponk states, interrupting anyone who might've wanted to speak before him. "But you were actually on the verge of dying. Which almost seems impossible considering your... situation."

"It must be the flower," Sam concludes right away, eyeing Ponk with determination. "If it hadn't been for that, this would've never happened."

"I wouldn't say that, actually."

"It lured them in."

"I'm not sure if I agree."

"You weren't there, Ponk. I saw what happened." Everyone looks at the centaur, including yourself. You were there too, but you can't remember ever 'being lured in'. Is that what happened when you couldn't see anymore? When you were gone, assumably passed out? "They tried to go to it. It was trying to lure them to it, most likely to kill them. If it hadn't been for me, they would be dead."